gray cloudiness and high ammonia

Hyrru
I have had my 10 gallon tank set up for a month now and the last 3 weeks I have had gray/white cloud inside the tank. Which I have read and assume is bacteria bloom and I have a large amount of ammonia in the tank hasn't seemed to change at all (3-5mg/l). I have very low if not zero nitrites and nitrates, I have used the proper chemicals, and done what should have started the cycling in it. The temperature of the water is 27 Celsius with little to no hardness. The pH is 7.5...let me know what you suggest I really want to get this going so I can start putting fishies in there and get my girlfriend off my back

Shawnie
welcome to fishlore!! just feed the fish tank a lil bit of fish food every 12 hours or so and wait for ammonia and nitrites to be 0 and nitrates under 20...you are doing everything right by cycleing fishless!! goodluck!

Hyrru
But shouldn't the fact that there is really high ammonia cause it to start?

tzqng8
Yes, and it will. Just have to have patience. The growth of these bacteria are not as fast as many others.

Hyrru
alright thanks for the help. I just would have thought it would be a little farther along after a month ><;

tzqng8
What water conditioner are you using (assuming you are using tap water)? It can take this long, but I agree, seems a little long.

Hyrru
it is a Big Als brand (came with the tank)

tzqng8
Does it say it kills Chlorine and Chloromine, or just one or the other? Do you know which is used in your tap water? Also, does it say anything about "locking" or de-toxifying Ammonia and/or Nitrites?

Hyrru
chlorine and chloramine but it doesn't say detoxifying or locking of it

tzqng8
Hmmmm. No idea what would be taking the bacteria so long to begin working.

What kind of filter do you have (more interested in biological filter, but my assumption is that it is an all in one type of power filter). Also, are you using a gravel substrate?

Shawnie
have u been feeding the tank daily ? because it will take time if not ...bacteria will die without either putting in some ammonia, or feeding fish food to the bacteria..if you have ANY nitrites or nitrates, its coming along well..if they are totally 0, its still in the beginning stages...but the cloudyness means there's a bloom so continue to feed the tank and yes, patience is something you can't buy

Alessa
Shawnie
I'm still very very very leary about recommending that product...just have a back up plan is you try it...another thread is going around that says no water changes for 6months with one of their other products! hello can you imagine!!

Alessa
WOW!!!! how is that possible???? I thought it was the same as biospira???? Can u please post the link shawnie?

Hyrru
Shawnie why am I feeding the tank daily if it has ammonia between 3-5 already?

Shawnie
how did you get the ammonia? from pure ammonia? or from feeding it to begin with? as long as it stays high like that you dont, but soon as it starts to drop and you get more nitrites, then feed it ....sorry I assmumed the 3-5 was a past reading not a current..I appologize

Hyrru
I fed it in the beginning. The problem is it hasn't dropped any in a few weeks (and no nitrites) so I am worried that the bacteria bloom isn't helping any

Shawnie
it will the bloom is a good sign!! its a sign you are getting good bacteria needed for the cycle...again I appologize for the confusion..my brunette moment kinda day

Hyrru
so I should not keep feeding or should?

Shawnie
if your ammonia is that high, no need to feed it...until you see it to start to drop...how long ago did you feed it and what did you use? pure ammonia?

also seeing how u are doing it fishless, turn up the temps a lil bit more as ive read the cycle goes a bit faster with the higher temps....

Hyrru
I did it for a few days a few weeks ago using tropical fish flakes, and raise the temp above 27?

Shawnie
yes go up to 29 or so..I'm trying to find the thread about higher temps help the cycle along faster...so you did everything right...now all you need is more patience and I wish there was a way to share it for those that went thru it...also, what test kit are you using? could you be getting false readings?

Hyrru
Shawnie
heres one thread I found so that would be 29.4 celsius ...I'm still looking for you

Shawnie
I am using a tetra brand master test kit (the test tube type not strips)

I'm not familiar with the tetra brand....maybe others will come in with some info on that...

I just know everything I used gave totally false readings until I learned about the apI liquid master test kit here...which are on sale at DRFOSTERS

Shawnie
sorry for back to back posts but heres the one I was looking for

lots of good info for you

Hyrru
I'm not familiar with the tetra brand....maybe others will come in with some info on that...

I just know everything I used gave totally false readings until I learned about the apI liquid master test kit here...which are on sale at DRFOSTERS

were you using strips before or liquid?

Shawnie
yes...but why don't you just pick up an apI nitrite kit outta curiosity to see if you get any readings..although the master apI kit will be well worth the purchase...

Hyrru
I am using this one

Shawnie
lets start a new thread with some advice on it if that's ok? maybe some experts will know more? because maybe its giving you false readings..but I'm not sure

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nathanjrb
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
MacZ
Top Bottom