Gravid ghost shrimp! What to do?

RMtanks

I recently noticed small white specks on the underside of my large female ghost shrimp's abdomen. I had been worried it might be a disease, but in about three days they were gone, and instead now she has small green spheres attached to her belly, which seem to move from time to time. I've also noticed her being much less active, stealing food from the cories and hiding more.
I got them about 4 months ago, which lines up with the timeline of when shrimps will wait to breed. I have 5 ghost shrimp currently- two of which were gravid when I got them(one is the current girl in question), but I believe they lost the eggs due to the stress of changing tanks. So I know I have at least one male-female pair, but also at least one more female.

Is my shrimp gravid? I'm pretty sure, but I just want to be certain. It's been about a week since I noticed the changes, so I should have a couple more to decide what to do until they hatch.
Additionally, what should I do? I don't have an extra tank outside of my quarantine tub which is going to be occupied soon. But I really want to raise these babies! I'm sure my tetras would eat the fry if I just left them in the tank. How should I protect her and her eggs, and if they do hatch, how should I take care of the fry?
Any help is greatly appreciated! I really want to try breeding and raising these shrimp, I'm attached to them and I'd love to have a second generation in the tank.

Included some pictures of the girl from today. (Excuse the poor quality lol)

Pfrozen

Yup shes berried. You won't see the fry because they go through a floating larval stage unlike cherries. I've had success in getting them to survive in a community tank by just having a big clump of moss laying around

RMtanks

Yup shes berried. You won't see the fry because they go through a floating larval stage unlike cherries. I've had success in getting them to survive in a community tank by just having a big clump of moss laying around

Awesome. And ah okay- I've never bred shrimp before so I don't really know quite a lot about it, but I'm eager to learn as I want to try keeping them alive. I do have a moss branch that I noticed seems to be a favorite spot for molting, but I can try adding more moss balls or cover a piece of cholla wood with it. I just wanted to know if there was anything special I should do to help keep her comfortable or to give the babies a better chance.

Pfrozen

Awesome. And ah okay- I've never bred shrimp before so I don't really know quite a lot about it, but I'm eager to learn as I want to try keeping them alive. I do have a moss branch that I noticed seems to be a favorite spot for molting, but I can try adding more moss balls or cover a piece of cholla wood with it. I just wanted to know if there was anything special I should do to help keep her comfortable or to give the babies a better chance.

They'll need dense cover, so the moss is basically a necessity. Many other plants would work as well though. Not sure if moss balls on cholla would be enough

RMtanks

They'll need dense cover, so the moss is basically a necessity. Many other plants would work as well though. Not sure if moss balls on cholla would be enough
Thank you. I am planning to add more plants soon so I'll make a note of that.
Do you think it would be possible to put her in a breeder box with a very fine mesh and hang it on the inside of the tank to keep her separated, until the larvae hatch? I could put pieces of wood with lots of moss in there for them to climb onto and feed them baby brine shrimp and powdered spirulina. Or do you think they would escape out of the breeder box anyway because they're too small?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishcat
Replies
Views
Ayzal
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views