Gravel vacuum

1. vasyat Member Member

Hi. I just added some Amano shrimp to my tank. I'm a bit nervous to do my first gravel vacuuming with them in there. Any tips on gravel vacuuming with shrimp?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. qchris87 Well Known Member Member

Ime, they usually move quickly when the vacc gets close to them, but I just move around slowly.

3. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

The filter killed my shrimp, not the gravel vac. They move pretty quick, but i vacuum slowly and thoroughly so i will see if any are in the way. If they are being stubborn and not moving you can just poke them with your finger and guide them away from your area :)

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can put a mesh or netting over the intake of the siphon (and filter too) to prevent them from getting sucked up.

5. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I used nylon stocking over my filter intake after half of mine got sucked up. Held secure with a little zip tie.

6. tjander Well Known Member Member

Won't putting a mesh on your gravel siphon cause it to not collect all the larger debris that you want to vacuum out of your tank? I see it good for a water change but not so good for cleaning... IMO

7. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

When i water change i vacuum the gravel the entire time. In my experience with 3 alive shrimp (lol) if you just pay attention to what you're doing you wont suck them up. When they are in my plants is the hardest because i have to shake the gunk off and vacuum but the shrimp wont leave the tangle of plant. But anywhere in the gravel they will usually move out of the way. I dont use nylon on my vaccuum only my filter intake. And i recently removed it because it was collecting too much waste and kind of restricting the water flow. My shrimp are in a breeder net about an inch from the waterline so they dont get lose. They are moving to their own tank with a sponge filter and sand. I tried nylon with the vacuum once and as soon as you break the flow all the gunk drops back into the water.