gravel vacuum problems?

1. fbn Well Known Member Member

Hello, the other day I thought of trying to make my gravel vacuum into a filter. So, we bought 1 1\2 feet of tubing to put on the gravel vacuum (the tubing already on the vacuum would be too long). Anyways, the vacuum will not start!? Is it because the tubing is not long enough? I do not have the tubing going up or anything, so that is not the problem. Oh, and it will bring some water when when I pump, but will not keep going on itself. What is wrong? Thanks! (and if you are wondering, if it works I am going to put filter floss in the vacuum part, so it actually filters :))

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not understanding. Are you able to post a picture? What are you using to keep the water going? Some sort of pump? Gravity? And how is the filtered water getting back into the tank?

???

3. fbn Well Known Member Member

I'm just using a gravel vacuum. I guess you could say as the "pump". The way that the water is getting back in: that is why I have the short tubing, so that I can just bend it down and the water just flows right back into the tank. If you know how a gravel vacuum works you might be able to picture what I am doing?. Thanks for answering though!! I hope you have an answer, cuz I'm stumped :)

4. jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

there r three types of gravel vacs, air powered, water powered or suctioned, and gravity. which one are u using, if it is gravity, the end of the hose has to be below the tank it self wich wont work, on a water powered one u have to connect it to a faucet, i suppose the air powered one will work, but the rate at which it filters the water wont be enough to clean ur tank properly

5. crazedACD Member Member

The end of the tubing (where the water comes out) needs to be lower than the siphon end..gravity and science and that sort of thing :). You can test this theory by trying to siphon into a bucket...if the tubing is higher than the siphon, it will not work, when you lower it, it will start going.

You can find some good DIY sponge filter plans if you google.

6. fbn Well Known Member Member

All right! Thanks everyone! I guess I'm using a gravity vacuum. I'm not sure, though. I didn't know there were different types. Thanks!!

CrazeACD: do all of those homeade sponge filters requite some thing like a pump or something that uses electricity??

7. jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

im not sure but u need to cycle the water in ur tank at least ten time an hour for example ; a 50 gallon tank would need a filter that would have a gph rating of 500 or more. so that takes alot of work, seems like electric pumps are about the only thing that work well

EDIT:eek:h sorry that wasnt directed to me

8. crazedACD Member Member

Yes, you would need to attach an air pump and tubing to them. IMO, it is probably worth it to buy a cheap sponge filter yourself, they are about $5 anyway. I think mine is by Penn Plax.

9. fbn Well Known Member Member

Okay, thanke for being so helpful everyone!