Gravel Vacuum Help

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Snailbait, Dec 31, 2012.

1. S

Snailbait New Member Member

I bought the Marina Multi-Vac Battery Gravel Cleaner, opened it up and attempted to figure it out but I'm having trouble. I put it together just like the package depicts (there were no instructions!), popped some batteries in and tried to use it. It does absolutely nothing. It makes a whirring noise but doesn't even suck up water. I just want to use it to clean my gravel as I have a siphon for water changes but want to do more frequent gravel cleaning.

My question is, does anyone know how to use this gravel cleaner? Am I doing something wrong? :helpsmilie:

It didn't cost me very much... should I just get a new one that costs a bit more? I was looking at the Eheim brand ones, they look pretty good. Would you recommend these?

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    S

Thanks for the help Ken. :)

I'm still not getting anywhere with this stupid gravel vac, so I'm going to give up with it. I really want one for just gravel cleaning, one that doesn't siphon water out of the tank, just the muck.

4. Colorado

Colorado Valued Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    S

I agree with the bad reviews, it's not a great product at all.

I'm still toying with the idea of buying the eheim brand 'pro vac'...

6. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

You could just use a turkey baster it wouldn't take out too much water and good for spot cleaning :)

7. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

If you're after a gravel vac only, no siphon, the Eheim is certainly well regarded.

Many members combine their gravel vac with a water change, so I guess that kind of negates the issue you're facing.

I'm a big fan of all things Eheim, so worth a shot. Try searching Fishlore, I think we may have a review of the Eheim somewhere.

Also, worth asking the local shop to trial it before you buy. :;dk [my locals would happily open one, I'm in Melbourne though]

8. grfresconero

grfresconero Valued Member Member

Just a thought , see if you first fill the pump with your tank water and then turn it on .

Hi from Con.

9. p

porkozone New Member Member

When I first tried this it did not work well at all for me, so I gave up on it after two tries.

Recently, I tried it again on a whim and it is working well. I don't know why I had so much trouble before. At the time I had gravel and now I have sand so maybe it's just that it works better to skim the surface and get the top stuff, where before I was trying to suck up stuff through the gravel.

The trickiest part is keeping the water line where it needs to be.

10. OP
    OP
    S

Thanks guys!

My problem is that I have a very limited amount of water for water changes. I live in the outback and it hasn't rained for a long time. I want to clean my gravel every second day or so, but I can only do a water change once a week. I think I will purchase the Eheim brand 'pro vac', it seems to be good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice