Gravel Vac Too Powerful

1. l

littleredridingmech Valued Member Member

Whenever I do water changes with my siphon and gravel vac attachment (it's a hard cylinder that has a larger diameter than the siphon tube), I try to vacuum the gunk out of the gravel but all I do is suck up the gravel and clog the siphon. Am I just vacuuming wrong? I put the vacuum end in the water, suck the other end and then push the vacuum into the gravel. If that's right, what can I do to fix it? The fish poo is starting to build up and I don't want to cause a disaster when I can actually vacuum for the first time.

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

First you hover, running the mouth of the vacuum over the surface. Next you dip in and out, quickly. If you're still having issues you can stir things up with a stick or a net handle and just siphon the gunk that's released.

Worse comes to worse, detatch the vaccum head from the tubing while both are under water. You can knock anything stuck in the vacuum head out without losing suction.

3. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Water is coming out too fast I think.

You could put a clamp on the tube to restrict the flow, add a smaller diameter tube or add some other device to restrict the flow.

I have inserted a smaller diameter tube into the wider tube on mine. I can also lift the end where the water comes out and it comes out slower.

4. OP
    OP
    l

littleredridingmech Valued Member Member

Thanks you two! I was able to just pinch the tube with my hand and had much more control over it.

5. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Nice work!

6. PetLover418

PetLover418 Well Known Member Member

I had the same issue. I put a cover over mine had from plastic mesh. Works pretty well and no more gravel.