Gravel vac as feeding tube

eligri

Hey'a!

Making a feeding tube for my rope fish. Plan on blocking off my old gravel vac so the eel can't swim upp the tube. It will be blocked off using a "pot" for aquarium plants.

However, my question is: is it safe to leave the gravel vac submerged in the tank for prolonged periods of time?
I have a JBL Aqua Ex gravel vac.

Thanks

Betta'sAnonymous

This is what i got for a feeding tube.

Screenshot_20210226-100524_Amazon Shopping.jpg

kallililly1973

If you fear your rope fish will swim up in it I would remove it every time your done feeding

eligri

I have one I'm doing that with now. Too much work. Want one I can just leave in.

I have no problems building one I know he can't swim up. Just need to know if the material will be toxic if left in the tank for more than the usual 1 hour gravel vac.

I kinda assume a gravel vac isn't made from a plastic that will leech chemicals in the tank, even if left there for months?
Atleast at no rate that would be toxic, since i do WC's every 1-2 weeks.

Goal is to just be able to drop some food in there, then have the filter blast down the tube so it spreads out along the bottom, behind some logs. Without my oscar being able to reach it instantly.
EDIT:
Found a product sheet. It lists the material as:
" plastic (ABS) / plastic (PS)"

These are both safe if I recall correctly?

Believe ABS is used in most filter outlets, and PS is used for most backgrounds. But not sure.

kallililly1973

How about a piece of pvc say 1/2” then feed and remove to a bucket beside your tank. Leaving something u know he will explore will eventually end up bad I think. Just my take on it

eligri

kallililly1973 said:
How about a piece of pvc say 1/2” then feed and remove to a bucket beside your tank. Leaving something u know he will explore will eventually end up bad I think. Just my take on it
The end goal is having a feeding machine dropping food into the pipe.
I will have it blocked off with a mesh far thinner than the eel is. He's decently large, the holes will be maybe 1/3 of his head size. Then the filter outlet will push water into the tube, forcing the food to leave the tube.
So really don't see any way he could get stuck in the tube. Just as long as it doesn't leech anything bad

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom