Gravel to sand??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by apple429, Mar 6, 2012.

1. apple429

apple429Well Known MemberMember

Hey guys... Im thinking on putting sand in my 20g tall tank, here is my gameplan:

I will add sand to about 1/4 of the tank, and wait one to two weeks

Then I will do a good water change, gravel vaccuming, take the gravel out, and replace with the "cycled" sand...

I will repeat until the tank is done... thoughts???
    If it doesn't sound like a good idea, I will just add about an inch od sand on top of the gravel...

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Just do it all at once :)

You can't put sand on top of gravel - it will fall through.

Switching out the substrate is not a big deal. There are countless threads on the matter that I'm sure you will find helpful.

3. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I was thinking the same thing as Jaysee. What I did was did a bit of a water change, net all he gravel out, and put in the sand as I rinsed it (by the net full 'cause I live in a dorm LOL). After all the sand was in, I replanted the tank, filled it back up, and put my fish and frogs back in.

4. Jaysee

who told you to use a net to remove the gravel?

I wouldn't suggest using a net to move the sand without a plate or something to hold underneath it and rest it on during transit.

5. Akari_32

I was being ingenuitive lol Its what I had, so its what I used! The sand I bought (PetCo brand) is actually pretty large grained, and I used a bowl to catch any drippings. Beside that, the tank is only 3 ft away from the sink :rolleyes:

6. angelfish220

angelfish220Well Known MemberMember

If you replace your filter cartridges I wouldn't replace the cartridge and the gravel around the same time, let the cartridge age a bit first. When I switched I did a REALLY good vacuum session first that way the water wasn't fouled up too much...

7. Jaysee

I thought I told you to :) oh well :;toast

8. OP
    OP
    apple429

Thanks guys... I will let you know how it goes!!

9. OP
    OP
    apple429

So I just mathed out how much sand I need, and a need a little more... would the cycle still be stable with only an inch or so of cycled sand?

10. Jaysee

You should have enough bacteria in your filter to not worry about the substrate. Where did you get cycled sand from?

11. OP
    OP
    apple429

I have three inches of sand in my ten gallon, and I don't like it (the look of the sand in a small tank)... plus my 20g is kind of my "show" tank, and I think it would look better.. it is my favorite one, so I want to swap substrates, and also add a little more gravel to my other tanks... Plus when I get my 55g tank, my 10g will turn into a QT tank, so I want to be able to just gravel vac, for faster maint. and then my 20g will turn into a breeding tank (specifically for the cories) so I want the sand substrate to encourage breeding.

12. Jaysee

Okay I get it. Some sands come with "bacteria" already in them - all you have to do is put it in a tank and WHAM, you have a cycled tank. I've not tried to see if it works - I thoroughly wash the sand regardless.

Sounds like a good plan

13. OP
    OP
    apple429

ya.. I don't like that "precycled" sand... I get the petco artificial sand, and clean the crud out of it!!! lol

14. Jaysee

the caribsea supernaturals sands are reeeeeally nice, and reeeeeally expensive at $1.25 per pound. That's not too bad with a small tank, but a 48x18 tank holds 100 lbs of sand or more. Pool filter sand is the best - it's natural colored, doesn't compact, doesn't get kicked up into the water column or sucked up and is CHEAP at about $0.30 per pound.

15. OP
    OP
    apple429

I thought that that raised the pH though??

16. Jaysee

17. OP
    OP
    apple429

OHHHHH!!! Okee- Dokee!!! Do you know where to get that sand???

18. Jaysee

I buy pool filter sand from pool and spa stores :) Some hardware stores might have it too. They'll tell you it's not for aquarium use, if you tell them that's what it is for, but that's a liability thing and they wouldn't know any better anyway.

19. Akari_32

Should be able to get it at, like, Home Depot, Lowes, or Walmart, I've heard, too... Or maybe I'm crazy lol

20. OP
    OP
    apple429

Thanks!! How many lbs. do you think it would take for a 12 x 24 inch floorplan?? I was thinking 25- 30 lbs...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice