Gravel to sand change with fish

Ryancway

Looking to change my substrate from gravel to sand and wanting the best/easiest way to accomplish that goal. I have fish in so I'm needing ideas on how to do that without harming fish. Photos/videos/links are all welcome
..thanks in advance.
20190916_231302.jpg

fintasticTanks

What I did is remove the decor first, then lower the tank water to about 1/6th full, gravel vacuumed the gravel while lowering the water level, removed the gravel, rinse the sand, add the sand. Fish will be out of your way for this.

TheeLadyG

So, I changed my substrate from gravel to sand (but I moved to a whole new tank) and then I switched that sand for different sand. I did the sand change with the fish still in the tank and it was pretty simple. Granted, my fish are really confident and nothing scares them, they just think everything is fun (goldfish). If you think that having your hands in the tank over and over would be distressing for your fish, I recommend moving them into a separate container with an air stone temporarily with water from the fish tank.

Get your sand ready. I rinsed mine (40lbs Black Diamond Sand) in a big sterilite container in my bathtub until the water ran clear, and set it aside.

Turn off your filters! You will stir up a lot of detritus . You don't want to overload your filter . I took out all the decorations, and used a plastic container to scoop the gravel out, put it in a colander to strain the water out of it, then dumped it in a 5 gallon bucket. Just keep doing that until you have pretty much all of the gravel out. You don't need to take the water out, just use the colander to strain the water out of the gravel and throw it in the bucket. Now, with your sand at the ready, just use the same container to scoop the sand up and lay it into the bottom of the tank. If you rinsed it really well it shouldn't make your water terribly cloudy. You can do this with the fish in or not. I did my entire 75 gallon tank change in an hour , it doesn't take that long after you have everything ready.

Since you have stirred up a lot of detritus, and the sand may make your water cloudy, you may want to wait another hour for things to settle down and then do a 50% (or so)water change to clear it up a bit. Then turn on your filters to let the rest get cleared up on its own. Then you can arrange all of your Decor back the way you want it.

Something else to think about, there is a lot of good bacteria that grows on your gravel. You're going to be taking out all of that surface area and replacing it with a brand new one that is completely clean. I highly recommend taking some of your old gravel and putting it in a mesh bag or similar and hanging it in your tank for a while or just laying it on the bottom. Keep testing your water parameters and watch out for an ammonia spike. Your beneficial bacteria will catch back up, but you will have removed a lot of them at first so give them a fighting chance !

mattgirl

When I made the switch the first thing I did was rinse the sand really really well. I did it outside so I could be sure it was a clean as I could possibly get it. If it is rinsed well enough it shouldn't cloud the water. Once done I removed all the decor. I siphoned about 1/2 of the water out cleaning the gravel as much as possible while doing it. Once done I used a big net to remove the gravel. I then allowed any detritus left behind to settle and siphoned it out.

If you haven't already done so, turn your filter(s) off. I then added the sand by using a small container. I would fill the container with sand put it down to the bottom of the tank and pour it out. Since my fish were still in the tank I didn't want to pour the sand through the water. Once all the sand was in place I replaced the decor and filled the tank back up. Try to pour the water onto a piece of decor or on a plate or something to disrupt the flow of water to prevent disrupting the sand.

When you switch to sand be sure the uptake tube on your filter is several inches above the surface of the sand to prevent it being pulled into the filter and destroying your impeller. Please don't ask me how I found this out Replacing impellers is almost as expensive as just buying a new filter.

Ryancway

What I did is remove the decor first, then lower the tank water to about 1/6th full, gravel vacuumed the gravel while lowering the water level, removed the gravel, rinse the sand, add the sand. Fish will be out of your way for this.
How did you house the fish that were in the tank originally?

So, I changed my substrate from gravel to sand (but I moved to a whole new tank) and then I switched that sand for different sand. I did the sand change with the fish still in the tank and it was pretty simple. Granted, my fish are really confident and nothing scares them, they just think everything is fun (goldfish). If you think that having your hands in the tank over and over would be distressing for your fish, I recommend moving them into a separate container with an air stone temporarily with water from the fish tank.

Get your sand ready. I rinsed mine (40lbs Black Diamond Sand) in a big sterilite container in my bathtub until the water ran clear, and set it aside.

Turn off your filters! You will stir up a lot of detritus . You don't want to overload your filter . I took out all the decorations, and used a plastic container to scoop the gravel out, put it in a colander to strain the water out of it, then dumped it in a 5 gallon bucket. Just keep doing that until you have pretty much all of the gravel out. You don't need to take the water out, just use the colander to strain the water out of the gravel and throw it in the bucket. Now, with your sand at the ready, just use the same container to scoop the sand up and lay it into the bottom of the tank. If you rinsed it really well it shouldn't make your water terribly cloudy. You can do this with the fish in or not. I did my entire 75 gallon tank change in an hour , it doesn't take that long after you have everything ready.

Since you have stirred up a lot of detritus, and the sand may make your water cloudy, you may want to wait another hour for things to settle down and then do a 50% (or so)water change to clear it up a bit. Then turn on your filters to let the rest get cleared up on its own. Then you can arrange all of your Decor back the way you want it.

Something else to think about, there is a lot of good bacteria that grows on your gravel. You're going to be taking out all of that surface area and replacing it with a brand new one that is completely clean. I highly recommend taking some of your old gravel and putting it in a mesh bag or similar and hanging it in your tank for a while or just laying it on the bottom. Keep testing your water parameters and watch out for an ammonia spike. Your beneficial bacteria will catch back up, but you will have removed a lot of them at first so give them a fighting chance !
Well that makes sense...my think is the tank is not fully cycled as of yet so all the beneficial bacteria is not really in the tank per say...would that raise a problem?

When I made the switch the first thing I did was rinse the sand really really well. I did it outside so I could be sure it was a clean as I could possibly get it. If it is rinsed well enough it shouldn't cloud the water. Once done I removed all the decor. I siphoned about 1/2 of the water out cleaning the gravel as much as possible while doing it. Once done I used a big net to remove the gravel. I then allowed any detritus left behind to settle and siphoned it out.

If you haven't already done so, turn your filter(s) off. I then added the sand by using a small container. I would fill the container with sand put it down to the bottom of the tank and pour it out. Since my fish were still in the tank I didn't want to pour the sand through the water. Once all the sand was in place I replaced the decor and filled the tank back up. Try to pour the water onto a piece of decor or on a plate or something to disrupt the flow of water to prevent disrupting the sand.

When you switch to sand be sure the uptake tube on your filter is several inches above the surface of the sand to prevent it being pulled into the filter and destroying your impeller. Please don't ask me how I found this out Replacing impellers is almost as expensive as just buying a new filter.
When you rinsed your sand, did you use just water straight from a water spigot? Or did you have to put water conditioner with it? Being that its city water. Would that be a problem..

Also, the water you did get it (the 1/2 a tank full)...did you stow it and reuse or just treated it as a water change and replenish it with new water?

My intake sits about 4 inches from the bottom so I should be good if I add about 2 inches of sand all around ha

mattgirl

When you rinsed your sand, did you use just water straight from a water spigot? Or did you have to put water conditioner with it? Being that its city water. Would that be a problem..

Also, the water you did get it (the 1/2 a tank full)...did you stow it and reuse or just treated it as a water change and replenish it with new water?

My intake sits about 4 inches from the bottom so I should be good if I add about 2 inches of sand all around ha
Once my sand was as clean as I could get it I added water conditioner to the final rinse. Stirred it well and then poured that water off.

I discarded the 50% water I removed. Since there is little to no bacteria in the water discarding used water and replacing with fresh is basically just doing a 50% water change.

I think I would raise the intake a bit higher. I can't say for sure but I think 4 inches above the suface of the sand would be better. I have both a pleco and lots of corydoras in my tank and they like stirring the sand so for me 4 inches seems to work best.

angelcraze

A little tip for adding sand thru water is to use a pop bottle to pour sand thru the spout. Just fill a 2 liter pop bottle with sand, put the cap on, lower in the tank, remove the cap and let it pour. All the junk dust goes into the bottle. Put the cap back on while the bottle is still upside down and remove the dust.

The guy in this vid says he doesn't even rinse his sand first.

Fljoe

Well that makes sense...my think is the tank is not fully cycled as of yet so all the beneficial bacteria is not really in the tank per say...would that raise a problem?
How long has your tank been cycling? Changing the substrate at this point could interrupt the cycle causing it to take longer. Otherwise the member who suggested hanging some of the old gravel in the tank sounds like a good idea to save some of the BB you do have.

kallililly1973

I swapped all the gravel in my 55 while everyone was still in the tank and the filter was running the entire time.
1. Rinse all sand to be used outside in buckets with a garden hose.
2. remove all plants and decor if live plants put them in a bucket of tank water for replanting after.
3. Do a deep gravel vac to remove as much waste as possible and removing about 30% of your water.
4. Get a dollar store dustpan and an empty bucket or in my case I used a cooler to scoop all the gravel into.
5. slide the filter to one end of the tank ( if your not turning it off ) Take a good size sturdy plastic cup and proceed to scoop sand into the opposite end of the tank in a big pile till you get to your desired amount.
6. Spread out the sand lightly with your hand or you can use a new paint stirrer to grade and level it nicely if your going for that look.
7. Add back your plants decor driftwood and rocks to your liking.
8. Add your conditioner and fill your tank.
9. Add polyfill to your filter and even a prefilter sponge to help with picking up any debris that got by while rinsing the sand. You may need to change it a couple times to help with a bit of cloudiness.
10. Sit back and enjoy the big accomplishment!

Donthemon

Put your fish in a bucket with the heater and drain the tank and change and fill ASAP and put them back in after the dust settles from the new sand .

Ryancway

How long has your tank been cycling? Changing the substrate at this point could interrupt the cycle causing it to take longer. Otherwise the member who suggested hanging some of the old gravel in the tank sounds like a good idea to save some of the BB you do have.
It's been cycling now for about 6 weeks...still no BB that breaks down nitrites...so it's going slow as it is.

I swapped all the gravel in my 55 while everyone was still in the tank and the filter was running the entire time.
1. Rinse all sand to be used outside in buckets with a garden hose.
2. remove all plants and decor if live plants put them in a bucket of tank water for replanting after.
3. Do a deep gravel vac to remove as much waste as possible and removing about 30% of your water.
4. Get a dollar store dustpan and an empty bucket or in my case I used a cooler to scoop all the gravel into.
5. slide the filter to one end of the tank ( if your not turning it off ) Take a good size sturdy plastic cup and proceed to scoop sand into the opposite end of the tank in a big pile till you get to your desired amount.
6. Spread out the sand lightly with your hand or you can use a new paint stirrer to grade and level it nicely if your going for that look.
7. Add back your plants decor driftwood and rocks to your liking.
8. Add your conditioner and fill your tank.
9. Add polyfill to your filter and even a prefilter sponge to help with picking up any debris that got by while rinsing the sand. You may need to change it a couple times to help with a bit of cloudiness.
10. Sit back and enjoy the big accomplishment!
That makes sense...but what do you mean by polyfilter. Just something that keeps the debris off the carbon filter until it clears up and then remover the polyfilter?

Put your fish in a bucket with the heater and drain the tank and change and fill ASAP and put them back in after the dust settles from the new sand .
Should I try and retain as much water as I can to put it back in the tank? I have a 45 gal so keep 50% of the water or more/less?

Once my sand was as clean as I could get it I added water conditioner to the final rinse. Stirred it well and then poured that water off.

I discarded the 50% water I removed. Since there is little to no bacteria in the water discarding used water and replacing with fresh is basically just doing a 50% water change.

I think I would raise the intake a bit higher. I can't say for sure but I think 4 inches above the suface of the sand would be better. I have both a pleco and lots of corydoras in my tank and they like stirring the sand so for me 4 inches seems to work best.
I will keep all that in mind. I too have a few Cory's so I'll raise it a bit high once I get all the sand in and before I turn the filter back on. Ha

Fljoe

It's been cycling now for about 6 weeks...still no BB that breaks down nitrites...so it's going slow as it is.
Should I try and retain as much water as I can to put it back in the tank? I have a 45 gal so keep 50% of the water or more/less?
Do you do regular water changes on your tank?
Your just going to treat the substrate swap as a water change. Discard what water you remove. Then refill with fresh water using your water conditioner.

kallililly1973

That makes sense...but what do you mean by polyfilter. Just something that keeps the debris off the carbon filter until it clears up and then remover the polyfilter?
You can get a big roll of polyfill at walmart for $6-7 that is great for adding to your filter and polishing your water.
I would treat it as a 50-60% WC and add your water conditioner preferrably Prime for the entire tank volume and add new water.

Ryancway

You can get a big roll of polyfill at walmart for $6-7 that is great for adding to your filter and polishing your water.

I would treat it as a 50-60% WC and add your water conditioner preferrably Prime for the entire tank volume and add new water.
Well I just have a HOB filter so idk how that would work.

And am I adding the prime to the water I'm adding or add the prime to the tank and then add the water(that has not been conditioned) to the tank?

Do you do regular water changes on your tank?
Your just going to treat the substrate swap as a water change. Discard what water you remove. Then refill with fresh water using your water conditioner.
Yeah I have been doing a 25% change weekly but just started doing 50% water changes twice a week to get ammonia down. So my next 50% WC was supposed to be friday or Saturday so I guess that is when I'll do the substrate changeover

kallililly1973

Well I just have a HOB filter so idk how that would work.

And am I adding the prime to the water I'm adding or add the prime to the tank and then add the water(that has not been conditioned) to the tank?
Add Prime for the entire volume of your tank. 1 full cap will Treat 50 gallons so if I were you I would do an entire cap every week when you do your 50%WC's.
What type of HOB filter? If it's an AquaClear then you can put the carbon to the side and add your big sponge in the bottom and a couple cut pieces of polyfill in the center then your ceramic media on top. If it is an HOB with a cartridge. TrI'm a hole in the fiber and shake all the carbon out and keep the frame and wrap the polyfill around it. and every couple weeks keep some of your used tank water and toss the polyfill that's wrapped around the cartridge frame and swish the frame around in the old tank water and wrap a fresh piece around it. But when you cut the fiber off the first time be sure to keep some around the edges so it looks "sloppy" there will be BB growing on it and as time goes on and you begin to stock more fish the BB will build up. Also if its a cartridge style I would get a bag of ceramic media and drop it into your HOB and forget about it as it'll have a lot of surface for the BB to grow as well. May sound a little overwhelming but its really not bad at all once you get into your weekly routine.

fintasticTanks

How did you house the fish that were in the tank originally?

Sorry. When I said fish will be out of your way I meant that they will be in the tank, but they will swim away from your hand while you pour the sand in.

Fljoe

Yeah I have been doing a 25% change weekly but just started doing 50% water changes twice a week to get ammonia down. So my next 50% WC was supposed to be friday or Saturday so I guess that is when I'll do the substrate changeover
Just out of curiosity... what are your water parameters? Is that a cartridge filter? How do you clean it or do you replace the cartridge?

Add Prime for the entire volume of your tank. 1 full cap will Treat 50 gallons so if I were you I would do an entire cap every week when you do your 50%WC's.
What type of HOB filter? If it's an AquaClear then you can put the carbon to the side and add your big sponge in the bottom and a couple cut pieces of polyfill in the center then your ceramic media on top. If it is an HOB with a cartridge. TrI'm a hole in the fiber and shake all the carbon out and keep the frame and wrap the polyfill around it. and every couple weeks keep some of your used tank water and toss the polyfill that's wrapped around the cartridge frame and swish the frame around in the old tank water and wrap a fresh piece around it. But when you cut the fiber off the first time be sure to keep some around the edges so it looks "sloppy" there will be BB growing on it and as time goes on and you begin to stock more fish the BB will build up. Also if its a cartridge style I would get a bag of ceramic media and drop it into your HOB and forget about it as it'll have a lot of surface for the BB to grow as well. May sound a little overwhelming but its really not bad at all once you get into your weekly routine.
You beat me to it lol! His HOB intake tube looks like my Top Fin. People are following the filter instructions and replacing those cartridges. I know it’s off the OP’s topic. But I asked anyway.

Ryancway

Sorry. When I said fish will be out of your way I meant that they will be in the tank, but they will swim away from your hand while you pour the sand in.
Oh ok...so you are saying about a 80% water change then...correct?

Ethan30

Looking to change my substrate from gravel to sand and wanting the best/easiest way to accomplish that goal. I have fish in so I'm needing ideas on how to do that without harming fish. Photos/videos/links are all welcome
..thanks in advance.
20190916_231302.jpg

I would recommend a substrate cleaner. Also nice tank.

Ryancway

Oh ok...so you are saying about a 80% water change then...correct?

I'm still a little confused about the adding prime part. Treat the whole tank with the 50% still in there with prime and then just add tap water on top?

I would recommend a substrate cleaner. Also nice tank.
Thanks...and what do you mean by substrate cleaner?

Ryancway

Yes exactly. That's how I do it in all my tanks. Do you have a python or similar WC type contraption that you attach to your sink?
No, just a regular gravel vacuum that I run to the outside. I do my water filling with a 5 gal bucket....one bucket at a time ha

No, just a regular gravel vacuum that I run to the outside.
I do all my water filling for a 5 gal bucket...one bucket at a time ha

kallililly1973

I would invest in a water changer like the one I put in the link above they are life and back savers especially seeing you have a 45 gallon tank. All yoi have to do is attach it to your sink and follow the directions or watch a couple videos on the type you get and you will be able to gravel vac and then regulate the temp. of the water your adding back in which is also important as to not shock anyone.

Fljoe

The water exchangers that attaches to your sink will make your life so much easier. They aren’t that expensive. It actually makes doing a water change pleasurable. You will want to do more. Lol

Ryancway

I would invest in a water changer like the one I put in the link above they are life and back savers especially seeing you have a 45 gallon tank. All yoi have to do is attach it to your sink and follow the directions or watch a couple videos on the type you get and you will be able to gravel vac and then regulate the temp. of the water your adding back in which is also important as to not shock anyone.
Yeah well I always thought you had to add the conditioner to the water going in, that's the only reason I've done it this way to be honest...always was afraid of killing the fish..didnt know you can condition the tank prior to filling it with tap water..that'll save loads of time.

The water exchangers that attaches to your sink will make your life so much easier. They aren’t that expensive. It actually makes doing a water change pleasurable. You will want to do more. Lol
I'm going to look into them now that I know..ha

kallililly1973

For instance on my 55 I always do a 50-75% WC every 5-7 days I hook up my Aqueon WC'er and vacuum the sand thenlet it drain down to my desirable amount then I use a digital temperature gun to match my tank then I add a full cap and a couple more drops of Prime to my tank and put my WC'er in and let it fill without ever having any negative effects.

Fljoe

Yeah well I always thought you had to add the conditioner to the water going in, that's the only reason I've done it this way to be honest...always was afraid of killing the fish..didnt know you can condition the tank prior to filling it with tap water..that'll save loads of time.
they are definitely worth it. Once you put the prime in your tank it conditions the tap water your adding immediately! Fish are safe and happy!

For instance on my 55 I always do a 50-75% WC every 5-7 days I hook up my Aqueon WC'er and vacuum the sand thenlet it drain down to my desirable amount then I use a digital temperature gun to match my tank then I add a full cap and a couple more drops of Prime to my tank and put my WC'er in and let it fill without ever having any negative effects.
I like that you can adjust the flow of water going into the tank. Unlike a bucket that probably causes lots of turbulence. I set it on a low flow and refill the tank slowly.

Ryancway

they are definitely worth it. Once you put the prime in your tank it conditions the tap water your adding immediately! Fish are safe and happy!
Sweet...that'll save my back a lot...ha. going tomorrow to pick one up from petsmart. Along with all the other stuff so it's all ready to go come this weekend.

I like that you can adjust the flow of water going into the tank. Unlike a bucket that probably causes lots of turbulence. I set it on a low flow and refill the tank slowly.
Right, I've nee using a 1 gal pitcher to lessen the turbulence when adding the water from a 5 gal...jesus my way seems like such a hassle compared to that way. Haha

Fljoe

Sweet...that'll save my back a lot...ha. going tomorrow to pick one up from petsmart. Along with all the other stuff so it's all ready to go come this weekend.
Sounds good. Although you never answered any of our questions about your filter or your method of cleaning the media! Lol

Ryancway

That is good to know. Makes my life easier and I get more time enjoying the tank instead of cleaning the tank...because my 50% WCs are taking about 2 hours right now...I suspect it will only be a 1 hour or less ordeal with the right equipment ha

kallililly1973

Right, I've nee using a 1 gal pitcher to lessen the turbulence when adding the water from a 5 gal...jesus my way seems like such a hassle compared to that way. Haha
A better way to reduce the turbulence when adding with a bucket or pitcher is using a colander it will distribute the water through all the small drain holes

Fljoe

Your way is just old school! Lol
Especially if your going to sand, you want to keep the turbulence down.

Ryancway

Sounds good. Although you never answered any of our questions about your filter or your method of cleaning the media! Lol
Oh sorry, there is a lot going on in this thread and I've only been using the forum for about 2 days so I'm trying to keep up...but I have a top fin 40-75 gal HOB with the carbon cartridges. But I've only clean the filters once via shaking them in the WC water in a bucket as to not lose any BB from the filter. But I also was using a gravel vacuum to get the fish waste off of the gravel. Any other questions needing answered? Ha

Your way is just old school! Lol
Especially if your going to sand, you want to keep the turbulence down.
Yeah, well this is my first tank since about 10 years so that was new school when I last had a tank....man how times have changed haha

A better way to reduce the turbulence when adding with a bucket or pitcher is using a colander it will distribute the water through all the small drain holes
Makes sense....seems I just need to buy all the proper equipment to make everything go as smooth as possible ha

Fljoe

N
Oh sorry, there is a lot going on in this thread and I've only been using the forum for about 2 days so I'm trying to keep up...but I have a top fin 40-75 gal HOB with the carbon cartridges. But I've only clean the filters once via shaking them in the WC water in a bucket as to not lose any BB from the filter. But I also was using a gravel vacuum to get the fish waste off of the gravel. Any other questions needing answered? Ha
No problem I understand . But you answered correctly. People are so quick to replace those cartridges. So your filter is the duel chamber? I think I have the same filter. After 2 months of cleaning my cartridges in old tank water. I finally cut them up off the plastic frame and placed it in the overflow chamber. Now I’m using regular filter fiber cut to size in place of the cartridges. I also put a prefilter sponge on my intake tube.

kallililly1973

Makes sense....seems I just need to buy all the proper equipment to make everything go as smooth as possible ha
You don't always need to run out and buy everything that says Aquarium or fish tank on it. There are many DIY things that will make it easier on the pocket and in the long run will allow for more money for more tanks and better equipment

Fljoe

Yeah, well this is my first tank since about 10 years so that was new school when I last had a tank....man how times have changed haha
This is my first tank since I was a kid. Way old school. In fact my mother used to make us take the fish out of the tank and we would wash the gravel and the filter and the tank. That tank had no idea what beneficial bacteria was! Poor fish! Lol

Ryancway

N

No problem I understand . But you answered correctly. People are so quick to replace those cartridges. So your filter is the duel chamber? I think I have the same filter. After 2 months of cleaning my cartridges in old tank water. I finally cut them up off the plastic frame and placed it in the overflow chamber. Now I’m using regular filter fiber cut to size in place of the cartridges. I also put a prefilter sponge on my intake tube.
Yes it's a dual chamber.
I cleaned it once because it got clogged and was passing over the filters and diverting to the over flow (plus the little float said it was over flowing)...other than that I leave my alone.

This is my first tank since I was a kid. Way old school. In fact my mother used to make us take the fish out of the tank and we would wash the gravel and the filter and the tank. That tank had no idea what beneficial bacteria was! Poor fish! Lol
Haha...yeah, my last tank had 100s of guppies in it and I don't recall using anything in it as far as conditioner..just straight tap water...somehow they all survived and bred like crazy....this is the first time I've actually tried to do a tank properly. Ha

You don't always need to run out and buy everything that says Aquarium or fish tank on it. There are many DIY things that will make it easier on the pocket and in the long run will allow for more money for more tanks and better equipment
Yeah I know. But stuff like that water exchanger is a must have...just to make life easier. I'd rather spend some money now and save myself some troubles in the ling run ha.

Fljoe

That’s a great filter for your size tank. My tank is a 55 gallon. My float will turn red every week or so since I added media to it. But a quick rinse with tank water and it’s good to go. Did you buy it separately or did it come with your tank?

kallililly1973

Yeah I know. But stuff like that water exchanger is a must have...just to make life easier. I'd rather spend some money now and save myself some troubles in the ling run ha.
yup absolutely!. There is a thread on here most useful non aquarium tools but I can't find it but I bet Coradee may be able to find it... has a ton of useful things you can pick up super cheap that will come in handy when the time comes and you will know when you will wish you had em

Fljoe

The only problem I have with the Aqueon brand that Petsmart carries is the plastic adapter that screws on to your faucet. It is fine threads. And the plastic had trouble with the metal faucet. I am able to carefully get it on. Sometimes it will pop off. But with some finesse it will go on.
I read that home depot has a metal one that works but I couldn’t find it.
Amazon has a python metal adapter that according to reviews works with the Aqueon as well. I just haven’t ordered it yet.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
Cluckyholiday
Replies
Views
carsonsgjs
Replies
Views