gravel stone or sand ?

  • Thread starter

kez

New Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
151
hi,my tanks is all ok now your be pleased to know,but im trying to make the decision of keeping my sand which looks nice when i do my water changes but soon gets dirty fast and does`nt look as nice,would it be better to change it for gravel stones .what do you all think,?
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,173
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
kez said:
hi,my tanks is all ok now your be pleased to know,but im trying to make the decision of keeping my sand which looks nice when i do my water changes but soon gets dirty fast and does`nt look as nice,would it be better to change it for gravel stones .what do you all think,?
I think you've got a variety of choices based on your tastes & your fish.. gravel is one, also smaller gravel, river rocks of various sizes, flat marbles or staying with sand. We have flat marbles in our Betta tanks and gravel in the Platy tank.
 

Neville

Well Known Member
Messages
1,225
Reaction score
8
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
i think sand looks much better in a saltwater tank(especially coral tanks), for a freshwater tank i prefer the combination of small gravel, sunken wood and rocks.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

kez

New Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
151
cool thanks for the ideas flat marble sounds nice never heard of it have to do some research to see if i can find any pics of it,is it expensive
have you any photos of yours
 

griffin

Well Known Member
Messages
773
Reaction score
3
Points
178
kinda depends on what you're going for i personally prefer sand because i think it's easier to clean/maintain
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,173
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
kez said:
cool thanks for the ideas flat marble sounds nice never heard of it have to do some research to see if i can find any pics of it,is it expensive
have you any photos of yours
At the pet stores, you'll pay a fortune for them. But look at the "Dollar Tree" dollar store (or any dollar stores where things are actually a dollar) for them and in the crafts dept. at walmart to get the best prices on the flat marbles.

- Some of our fish vids show the tanks with flat marbles in them at this post.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

kez

New Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
151
hi thanks for replying i like the sand look it just seems to get dirty real quick,i love the vids n pics of your tank i think the marble looks brilliantthink im gonna look in to that ive got two african frogs thou will they be ok wiv the marble
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

kez

New Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
151
i also like the corry`s are they easy catfish to look after
and do they get along wiv most other fish
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,173
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
kez said:
hi thanks for replying i like the sand look it just seems to get dirty real quick,i love the vids n pics of your tank i think the marble looks brilliantthink im gonna look in to that ive got two african frogs thou will they be ok wiv the marble
I wish I could tell you for sure, but we've not had any frogs. I'd think they'd be ok with the marbles though.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

kez

New Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
151
ok thanks there strong little frogs i did have 3 clown loaches which i was told would eat them but they never went near them sadly the clown loaches died of the dreaded ich,i find out for sure first thou before i put the marble in
 

griffin

Well Known Member
Messages
773
Reaction score
3
Points
178
are you talking about african dwarf frogs or african clawed frogs? the dwarf are fine with marbles, but i don't think the clawed would be a good idea (i've heard stories of where they ate a marble and died as a result)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

kez

New Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
151
there dwarf so that should be cool ,i let u know how i get on
 

griffin

Well Known Member
Messages
773
Reaction score
3
Points
178
cool make sure it;s a dwarf and not just a baby clawed though!
 

vin

Well Known Member
Messages
1,446
Reaction score
86
Points
208
kez said:
i also like the corry`s are they easy catfish to look after
and do they get along wiv most other fish
Cory's are generally easy to take care of and get along fine with just about any other fish. They're very peaceful and somewhat shy. Tend to lean toward the nocturnal side, but will be active during the day as well....Some varieties are more sensitive than others. We have emerald and skunk corys and they are quite the little characters...Very easy to maintain. I feed them shrimp pellets and pelletized food wiith the occasional algae tab. They love it. They'll also help to eat up any leftover food that falls to the tank floor.....I don't recall the exact website page name, but I think it's They've got a lot of info on corys and catfish in general.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom