10 Gallon Tank Gravel Size for Under-Gravel-Filter

newbietetra

Hi

I am starting a tank with UnderGravel Filter.

I bought the gravel from a supplier, who claim it is 3 to 6 cm gravel.
But they look more like 7 to 8 cm.

Here is the gravel in my tank. Are they too big for a UGF?

Thank!

648C88A7-EF5C-4039-9329-881D52EEC6BB.jpeg

I put a water pump on the uplift tube. It is a Sun-sun 3 watt, from a electric-powered sponge filter.

Perfect for a 10 gallon!

B35682A9-945A-40B1-B563-4F0C50B48E97.jpeg

KingOscar

That gravel should work fine as is, I have an UGF tank running similar, no problems. You can sift out larger (and tiny) pieces with appropriate sized sieves or even by hand if you care to. Tiny pieces can drop though or partially clog the filter plate.

Flyfisha

Hi newbietetra

That looks like a good size of gravel for the UGF.

It’s not to big.

Do you have a plastic grid plate under the gravel ?

RayClem

For an undergravel filter you need "medium" size gravel. If the gravel is too fine (sand for example), there will be insufficient water flow through the gravel bed. If the gravel is too large, (pebbles for example), the gravel won't filter the debris from the water. it looks like your gravel is in the medium range, so you should be OK.

By the way, 7-8 cm would be around 3" diameter. That would be rocks, not gravel. I think you meant 7-8 mm. Some of the gravel might be that big, but it looks like most of it is in the 4-6 mm range.

newbietetra

Do you have a plastic grid plate under the gravel ?

Yes. It is a Veny brand. But, it is poorly made.
This grid plates are bent/warped. Maybe small gravel can get under the plates.
For an undergravel filter you need "medium" size gravel. If the gravel is too fine (sand for example), there will be insufficient water flow through the gravel bed. If the gravel is too large, (pebbles for example), the gravel won't filter the debris from the water. it looks like your gravel is in the medium range, so you should be OK.

By the way, 7-8 cm would be around 3" diameter. That would be rocks, not gravel. I think you meant 7-8 mm. Some of the gravel might be that big, but it looks like most of it is in the 4-6 mm range.
Yes, mm...not cm!

newbietetra

is this enough gravel?

9BE30684-14E2-43C1-90D6-E03E0ADE1730.jpeg

RayClem

You should have enough gravel. I wound not want any. You could add a little more, but around 2" should be fine.

KingOscar

If you have too much gravel it makes it more prone to clogging over time. 2 inches with regular gravel vacuuming will work perfectly for many years without issue.

jaysurf7

I would say that's a perfect size gravel for a UGF, about 2 inches or so should be fine, maybe some parts of the tank might be a little higher of you have some hills etc. but shouldn't be a problem. it's nice to know people are still using UGF I'm still using one on my 65 gal i think there great and have lots of benefits for a tank.

newbietetra

it's nice to know people are still using UGF I'm still using one on my 65 gal i think there great and have lots of benefits for a tank.

I couldnt stand the noisy air pump in my living room.
Instead of using air,
I put a small water pump on the uplift tube. this setup is working great. Plenty of water flow.

But I am worry the pump might suck up small bits of gravel.

i read that it only takes one piece of sand to destroy a motor.

CEE84D66-6441-4EF0-AC6B-CA4134C5072E.jpeg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kansas
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank UGF conversion
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views