Gravel Or Sand

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Milliemae124, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Milliemae124

Milliemae124 Valued Member Member

Hiya so I’m hoping to upgrade my 2.5 to a 6 but I don’t know what substrate to use. In the 2.5 I currently have medium sized gravel but I don’t think it would be suitable for a planted tank. I don’t know weather to go for small gravel or sand, what do you think would be best. Also does anyone know of a good way to vacuum sand or small pieces of gravel? :)

Attached Files:

2. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

Most of my tanks started out with standard gravel.
    I am slowly switching out the gravel for black sand.

The only tank I have with gravel that I am not changing is the one with pea gravel.

For vacuuming sand, I just wave the siphon above the surface of the sand to loosen the debris and then just let the vacuum suck the debris up.

3. OP
    OP
    Milliemae124

Ok thank you, I think I’m gonna go with the sand because it looks more natural :)

4. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

I would do sand IMO

5. TropicalFishieFish

TropicalFishieFish New Member Member

I use sand due to it's natural look and it is great for scavenging fish (loaches,shrimp etc). It is harder to clean though bear in mind but looks gorgeous with fish.

6. Hego_Damask

Hego_Damask Valued Member Member

Sand

Looks better
    Easier to clean
    Better for bottom fish like cory’s & loaches

7. OP
    OP
    Milliemae124

Yes I’m going to go with sand do you think black or white sand would look better? :)

8. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I vote black. Looks great with plants.

9. OP
    OP
    Milliemae124

Yes I love the look of green plants against a dark substrate :)

10. GrayGray4231

What kind of decor are you gonna use? It will depend on that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  11. OP
    OP
    Milliemae124

I don’t really know yet but here are some pictures that I like. I’m going to go for a more natural theme. :)

12. GrayGray4231

Yea, use black...

13. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Sand, it's a very natural substrate.
    I prefer tan sand, it's more natural than of black, lighter substrates are found mostly in the wild.

14. Y

Yohanndz New Member Member

Second the black if you ever keep shrimp they will look nice too

15. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

And also be advised: IF it's a planted tank, that sand is very very dense, and that will make it harder for rooted plants to "push" their roots through. And also, IF you get any catfish, then yes sand IS ideal. Not to mention that "sharper" gravel can be tough on catfishes barbels. But here's the thing that a lot of people may not be aware of: the quality of water also plays a major factor regarding catfishes barbels. Basically, in a nutshell, the better the water quality, the better the substrate, the better overall health of the barbels. Catfish use their barbels about 99% of the time, and yeah I also agree black substrate looks great! (I use Eco Complete and River sand which is slightly larger than your basic sand granuale size) but that is just my take regarding sand and black substrate. And the somewhat funky "technical" differences/effects.

16. OP
    OP
    Milliemae124

This is the tank I was going for, I was originally going to just have a betta in there but is it possible to have 3 Pygmy corydoras as well?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice