Gravel or Sand?

1. Gravel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jason Well Known Member Member

I just want to know what you think is the better substrate in tanks!

2. fletch Member Member

sand just looks so much better but there are more problems with it

3. swimfan Member Member

why more problems with sand? i agree it looks so nice, and i have been thinking of my next tank and thought i'd do sand instead.

4. fletch Member Member

It can clog up your filter

5. Jason Well Known Member Member

oohh. I ve got gravel only cause my dad reckons sand was a pain in the ass the clean

6. fletch Member Member

not if you have a syphon hoover, It will clean easier than gravel

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have sand in my kuhli tank and my multi tank and gravel in all the others. I really don't find one harder to take care of than the other. The only thing I did different was I put Malayasian trumpet snails in my sand tanks. They keep the sand aereated(sp?)also the multis keep their sand stirred up. Soo... no problems here with sand ;)

8. Jason Well Known Member Member

ok I also heard that some plants grow much better in sand is that true (in general) ???

9. fletch Member Member

I suppose it depends how deep your sand is. Im going to change my gravel for sand now, ive decided. about 2 inches on the bottom will do it. You can get realy fine sand normaly used for marine tanks

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

This is my kuhli sand tank, it has Hygrophilia polysperma growing in it and a big piece of bamboo growing out of the top.
    And my multi tank. although I don't have as much luck with plants in it because the multis keep burying them LOL. General feeling though is that you need root tabs or fertilizers to grow plants good in sand.

Attached Files:

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

After looking at those pics again this morning I realize they aren't the greatest LOL. Just wanted to show easy plants will grow in sand.
    Carol

12. fletch Member Member

that actualy looks realy good. Mines abit grey and dull so I need to cheer it up a bit. Im awfull at designing aquariums. I yhink I may put my attempt up here so that people can give me suggestions

13. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I have gravel or river rock in all my tanks but 1 which has sand. The sand is really growing on me. I also plan to use eco-complete on my next tank, and don't know which category that would fit in. Probably sand.

14. tennhound Initiate Member

I have pea gravel in 2 of my tanks and sand in my hubbys Kuhli tank. He likes the sand But I like the gravel better. Plants will grow about the same in both.

MARIE

15. Jason Well Known Member Member

You got some nice plants Butterfly really like that little plant on the rock on the far right of your multi tank!

16. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

J-man: That is Anubias nana on the rock in my multi tank. It has a rhizome so it attaches to rock and wood real good. I really like it on that piece of lava rock (the rock is a kind of reddish color).There are various species of anubias and they are all really cool.I have about 5 or 6 different species in various tanks ;D Check these out.
    http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_search.php?search=anubias enjoy!!!
    Carol

17. Jason Well Known Member Member

wow they look pretty cool have to get some for my tank

18. Jessie_Lynn Member Member

Although sand looks much more nicer and is more natural, gravel is better in to clean.

19. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sand isn't really hard to clean at all. Anything you need to vacuum out is laying right on top so you just wave the vacuum tube over it and the stuff just lifts right off. I keep Malaysian trumpet snails in both sand tanks and they keep the sand aereated(sp?) so no problems there.
    Carol

20. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

i prefer gravel because it looks diffrent than sand