Gravel Moving Goldfish

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Natty, Aug 2, 2015.

1. NattyNew MemberMember

Hi everyone :;hi1

I have a lovely goldfish and we have had her/him for about 9 years now and she/he is 7inches long (not including tail )
    he/she lives alone and has done now for about 2 years now.

She/he has gravel at the bottom of the tank that she/he moves around. For instance there is a big pile at the back of the tank at one end and bare parts with no gravel on it at the other end of the tank. When we last did a water change we moved the gravel back to even level but our fish has done the same thing again.

I was wondering if anyone could throw some light on this and I'm hoping its not some kind of stress symptom or something like that.

Any help would be very much apreciated. :;rocker

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

The fish is just arranging the tank to his/her preferences :) I've seen fish separate out the sand and gravel so one end was only sand and one end was only gravel (sand and gravel were mixed when put in). Nothing wrong with them, they just preferred it a particular way!

3. NympxzieValued MemberMember

Be careful with gravel though, It can be swallowed by your goldfish they can choke or their internal systems of sorts can be blocked up. Goldfish need a sand substrate because they enjoy sifting through to find goodies buried underneath, swallowing the sand is okay because it is small enough to be passed through them.

To answer your question, he's either arranging or sifting through your gravel. When he sifts, he will take up a piece, move it around in his mouth, and spit it out causing you to have piles of gravel in some areas.

4. trioracleNew MemberMember

Errrr I wouldn't recommend gravel at all. Gravel can Has a a lot of spaces and gaps which uneaten food and poop can get trapped in there. These gaps can also form toxic gases that are harmful for your fish. Not to mention sometimes gravel era logged in ur fishes mouth! I would switch to sand or bare bottom. For a bare bottom you can scatter a few large river rocks which can look very nice. Not to mention less work for you. XD

080215 Yopoipoi, rest in peace. May the river of light guide your soul to the celestial waters above.

5. BeekerWell Known MemberMember

I certainly would not recommend sand with goldfish. Since goldfish are grazers, they will eat the sand which has often caused illness and even death.
    I have kept gravel in my goldie tank for 20 years without a problem. They suck on the gravel and spit it back out. Because they graze almost constantly, there is almost never any food left in the gravel. If so, I can just vacuum it out when I change the water.
    The thing about food with all creatures is that the healthier the food is, the less waste is produced. I make my own food for my goldfish and since I started doing that, I have noticed a big difference in the amount of waste they produce. I rarely have to vacuum the gravel anymore.

6. NattyNew MemberMember

there is my little (or actually, HUGE ) beauty. I dont want anything to happen to her (I am calling it a her because if you look at the picture she has lipstick on :) )
    I've had her for nearly 10 years and she seems to have lived ok on gravel but now I'll be worried about her in the gravel!

Beeker you making your fishs' own food is very interesting. What ingredients do you use? the only thing I've given my little beauty is the odd pea :/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  7. NympxzieValued MemberMember

Here's some info on why I suggested OP remove their gravel and instead replace it with the much safer sand option, or bare bottom:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice