gravel for ten gallon tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Damian19, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Damian19Valued MemberMember

how much regular gravel should a 10 gallon tank have? Thanks

2. FlyfrodValued MemberMember

3. Damian19Valued MemberMember

10 lbs

right now i have 10 lbs of regular gravel in my ten gallon tank.How many more lbs of gravel should i add to be exact? :;thx

4. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I like to do one pound per gal. So 10lbs in a 10gal seems fine to me. That will usually set you up to an inch to one and a half inches.

5. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Pound per gallon rules are stupid & totally meaningless. (sorry Chris)
    As an example, a 20gal tall quite obviously doesn't need as much gravel as a 20gal standard. The footprint is much different & the difference only becomes bigger as the volume of the tank gets bigger.

You can only go by the footprint of a tank to work out how much gravel you need & even then it's a bit of guess work as different decor will impact how deep the gravel ends up being in the tank. If you want live plants you need about 3" of substrate material. If you don't want live plants then 1" should be quite enough. Once you add in the 10lb of gravel you have, you should be able to make a pretty accurate estimate of how much, if any more gravel you will need to achieve your desired depth.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice