gravel color

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I heard somewhere that one way to get you betta to brighten up is to get a gravel that matched their normal color. usually Inari is a brilliant blue and i'm wondering if this works at all or does it totally stress the fish out. Just wondering

brent

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never heard of that. If it means buying bright red or blue gravel I wouldn't do it...bright colors could stress the fish. If the gravel is a darker color it should be ok. Just no hot pink... ;D

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish in their normal habitat do not have substrata that matches their color and they are for the most part happy and healthy. I believe someone is selling you a bill of goods on this one. I am a firm believer (after having had red gravel myself - no more) that they can get overstressed by the overbright colors. The light reflects off it and they really do seem (at least here at home) more serene and happy with the darker colors or if you must have a bright color try mixing it with black or natural color gravel. I mixed the red with Fluorite when I planted the aquarium for the plants and it not only made a good bed for the plants, it cut the red down to a red/brown and makes a prettier floor.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
I use glass marbles and disks for the bottoms of my tanks and haven't seemed to have any ill effects ..... Is it something about the bright gravel that gives stress or bright colors in general?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, would you like to live in a room painted neon green or hot pink? It would drive me bonkers after just a very short time, that's for sure! Such bright colors are too unnatural and will stress the fish. Oh, and also light colors make them feel more exposed. It is recommended for some fish, such as tetras, that you give them a dark substrate to make them feel secure and like they don't stand out so much. Even fish that don't really care about gravel color are bound to feel like they stand out in such bright, light colors.

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, I would live in a room painted neon or hot pink but I guess that's just me. :)

I suppose when I get the 10 gallon tank I'll look into a different substrate. I know I had mentioned before in some post (goodness knows I can't remember where now) that I had seen a neon VW bug tank ornament and I was wondering if that was too bright.... that was what I meant but stuff other than gravel being bright. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The VW bug would be okay for sure. It is not going to take up so much room with its color that they cannot get away from it if it offends them , a floor on the other hand.....

Our little buddies will surprise us with what they like and don't like. Misty has decided she likes the Statue of Liberty I stuck in the tank to divert her from chasing Emma for awhile. She isn't by it constantly but is going over to investigate on a regular basis.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
that is hilarious, It's kinda like Inari when i clean his tank the plants always end up coming up (they are plastic don't worry) and I can never remeber how I had them to start with and there have been some times where he has started pulling on them until it came up and just floated around mischeivious little snot!!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here are my little patriotic pair -

the diversion only worked for a short time but she still has to go over to check if the Lady is moving every now and then. ;D

Rose
;D

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
well no wonder she likes lady liberty!!! red and white, u just need a blue one and ur all set

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks LOL Someday everyone is going to get tired of all the baby pictures from me and ban me from posting any more, but until then you are doomed to get pages from my "Mommy's Brag Book" I am going to have to get pictures of the little ladies to update soon as I haven't put any in for a while of Jasmyn and Sara.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Personally, you could have a post all your own of pictures that you post and I would look at it all the time! I LOVE looking at pictures of bettas! I don't know why but they captivate me. If I am in a pet store and I see the bettas I am stuck there for a good 10-15 minutes just going "look at this one!" or "oh, he's so PREEEEEEEETY!!!!" my boyfriend walks away and I have to try and find him when I can finally break my gaze. : ;D

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ricky2272 said:
Hey people i am new, ???  My gravel is just natural colours and my fish love it
Welcome to Fishlore.com. I hope you enjoy being here and joining us. The people on this site are very friendly and helpful and some of the finest people I have met online or off. Please feel free to comment or question and agree and disagree. We try to provide the information to help people do the best thing for the fish it is their pleasure to keep.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom