Gravel Cleaning

lisab53

Reaction score
I am in the habit of cleaning my goldfish tank weekly and wanted to stay on the same schedule with Gizmos 5 gallon tank. My question is about cleaning the gravel. I have two gravel cleaners but both are pretty large for cleaning the 20 gallon tank. I couldn't keep them on an angle and maneuver them are a small tank. What do most of you use to clean the gravel in your small tanks and do you leave your betta in the tank while you do it or relocate them to another place while your working in the tank?

Thanks,
Lisa

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a mini gravel vac that I bought at Petsmart. They come in many sizes (mini works best for a small tank) and start at only a few dollars.
Here's a link to it:

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
I use a similar siphon vac for cleaning our gravel (ours came with an extension tube that slides out of the main tube). I don't think it cost more than $4. And, I don't move our Betta for cleaning the gravel or typical water changes. But, I do keep an eye on him so he doesn't get siphoned into the tube, nor hit by it when the vac is being moved around.

Mike

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The betta may be curious or scared of the vacuum but as said above just keep an eye on him. Bettas get really freaked out by being moved and I only ever did so when I felt I had no choice. The danger in this unlike for some other fish are their long fins which can get damaged or caught in nets, or else become victim to finrot which is apparently partly caused by stress.

You should be fine just using one of the ones recommended above and watching your betta to make sure he doesn't get caught in the vacuum.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I use a cheap Wal-Mart gravel siphon vacuum for my 5 gallon. It was cheap and it does the trick.

lisab53

Reaction score
Thanks All.....I'll be at PetSmart this Sat. with my local adoption group so I'll check there for the small gravel siphon. And if they don't have anything well I can always make another trip to "That Pet Place" in Lancaster. I went there yesterday to get cat food before this snow came in today, and of course I made a trip into the fish room. Bad, Bad move on my part. Last week when I was shopping for my betta buddy they had only a few in the store and yesterday? well the room was full of them. I couldn't help but look and sure enough there were some real beauties.

And on this snowy day I had nothing to do but surf the web and found that there is a betta club in Phila, PA. I followed their link and much to my surprise I found that the first weekend in May they are having a show and auction in Lancaster. I think I have to go and see what a Betta Show is like. I've been to dog, cat, and bird shows but fish will be a first for me.

Lisa

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry, if I'm being too nosey here, but do you live in NY state? I was born and raised in Williamsville, NY. I've only lived in Az for 5 yrs now. Natalie

lisab53

Reaction score
Hi Natalie, I don't live in New York, I live in Pennsylvania. The small town of Red Lion to be more exact. I'm about 30 or 40 minutes from Lancaster, PA. But today......I sure wish I lived in AZ, we had about three more inches of snow.

Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom