Gravel clean plants

1. Zackary Initiate Member

Hey I'm planning to change my substrate in to sand, and was wondering if I had a carpet plant would I need to gravel clean the waste above the sand? Or do I just let them decompose and let the plants take them in as nutrients? Im using play sand so it is much lighter and I'm afraid that if I gravel clean, the plants will become buried in the sand. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome, I don't have a lot of experience with play sand but I do have one tank that has it as the substrate. I regret that decision as it is very hard once settled.
    You will not want to dig around as the debris will be on top and shouldn't get in the sand bed.

3. FiscCyning Member Member

As claireputput said, cleaning sand is much different from cleaning gravel. You don't root around with the siphon but just hover it about an inch over the sand and it will pick up the fish waste without disturbing the sand. With sand the waste just remains on top so there is no need to stir it up. With a groundcover plant you probably just do the same and vacuum over the plants without digging around.

Have you already bought the play sand? From what I have read, pool filter sand is actually better for the aquarium since play sand is too fine and can compact.

4. Zackary Initiate Member

I have already bought the play sand. Also you said that the sand would become compact, well is that a bad thing for roots?

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum