Gravel advice?

ZachG

My tank has always had brown algae, I’ve tried to get rid of it but always comes back week after week. So I was planning on switching gravel just because the algae on the white gravel I have looks terrible. What color gravels hide brown algae the best?

minervalong

Well, I could be a smarty and say "brown" but I won't lol. My question is, why do you always have brown algae? Are there any plants? Algae is usually a sign that you have really high nutrients in the water in the tank with nothing else to feed off them except the algae. Also, have you tried lowering the light?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Brown or black of course! How long has your tank been running? If it is Diatoms they will go away. Snails like the brown algae too.

Upvote 0

MrFishkeeper1

Depending on how big your tank is you could get corys or if its not heavily stocked and is like 10 gallons get like 5 habrosus corys or panda corys. Otherwise like minervalong said check nutrient levels and lighting. Or like StarGirl said try snails.

Upvote 0

smee82

Brown algae is normally diatoms and will go away after a while. How long has your tank been set up?

Upvote 0

ZachG

Brown algae is normally diatoms and will go away after a while. How long has your tank been set up?
It’s been running for six months

Upvote 0

ZachG

Well, I could be a smarty and say "brown" but I won't lol. My question is, why do you always have brown algae? Are there any plants? Algae is usually a sign that you have really high nutrients in the water in the tank with nothing else to feed off them except the algae. Also, have you tried lowering the light?
Yes I have a good amount of hornwort in the tank, I haven’t tried lowering the light yet.
Oh boy that is pretty long.
Yeah I’ve had it for quite a while
Brown or black of course! How long has your tank been running? If it is Diatoms they will go away. Snails like the brown algae too.
The tank has been running for six months now.

Upvote 0

Aprilbeingbasic

you can manage the algae by lowering light and feeding less. Also snails. seems silly to change grave over algae when it will just come back

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Zach72202
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Lots of brown algae
  • rkeehn547
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Roman96