grass type plants??

arfon

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi, Ive Java moss in my tank at the moment and now I'm after another plant that will not need much maintenance. ideally a plant that looks similar to grass that will spread on my substrate. i want that natural look and I'm a complete novice when it comes to aquarium plants ;D. thanks for reading.

Left C

Reaction score
arfon said:
hi, Ive Java moss in my tank at the moment and now I'm after another plant that will not need much maintenance. ideally a plant that looks similar to grass that will spread on my substrate. i want that natural look and I'm a complete novice when it comes to aquarium plants ;D. thanks for reading.
Many grass like foreground plants require good lighting, a rich substrate, adding some ferts plus CO2. Some are easier to grow than others. You didn't mention any of the specifics of your tank size and the info listed previously; so, I can't tell you which specific ones will work. Dwarf sag might work for you. It's grass like and easy to grow: and https://www.tropica.com/productcard_1_popup.asp?id=079&mode=close

Here's PlantGeek's foreground plants:

Tropica has some drawings of many different plants that may help you too: https://www.tropica.com/plant_print.asp

arfon

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks for your time left c. my tank is 7ft / 2 ft. pretty big so would look real good if i could have the natural look. my Java moss is taking a while to start growing its been in tank for over a month now and now starting to wrap itself around rocks etc. tank been set up over a year. got angels. plec.barbs,danios.gouramis,red tailed shark etc which all leave the moss alone.I've 1 Java Fern but its a really slow plant to grow but i Will check out your links and do some research. thanks again. was thinking of having someone local to get my tank planted and maintained until the plants can more or less look after themselves with the help of co2 etc from me. Ive had no luck at all with plants so far. Ive special aquarium lights that are meant to help the growth of plants.

Left C

Reaction score
arfon said:
I've special aquarium lights that are meant to help the growth of plants.
What do you have? What brand, watts, kelvin rating? Are they regular fluorescents or PC's? You may not have enough lighting?

arfon

Valued Member
Reaction score
2 x trocal plant hql aquaria light. 125 watt 230/240 volt 6,500 lamen 3,2000 kelvin thats all the deccription on box

Left C

Reaction score
Are you positive that the HQI bulbs are 3200 Kelvin and not 6500 Kelvin? Plant bulbs usually range from 5000 to 10,000 Kelvin.

arfon

Valued Member
Reaction score
yea will double check but 99% sure thats what it said on the box.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom