Grass For Breeding, Patch Or Plants?

tallullahm

Reaction score
Hi,
Okay so I have a few tetras that look ready to pop quite soon, I don’t really want them in a breeding box, so i was thinking of getting artificial grass for the fry to hide in when they’re born.
My question is, would they be better off with a patch of artificial grass that they can hide in? or artificial plants?

AxolotlAquarist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depends a bit on the other fish you have in the tanks. If they have big mouths and/or have tendencies to be aggressive, the breeder box might be your best bet. However, it's pretty difficult judging when you should put the fish in, so to avoid that complication, if you have peaceable fish with small mouths, try the plants. Really I would recommend live loose hornwort, or some guppy grass. Guppy grass got its name because many breeders float it at the top for fry to take shelter in. But if you don't want/can't find those live plants, find artificial plants that are dense and soft. Fry and other fish can lose a scale or two on the plastic parts of some fake plants. I wouldn't do a patch of grass, because the likelihood of the fry actually being born in one particular patch is unlikely. Instead, get plenty of the aforementioned soft, dense plants and put them all around the tank, so fry could swim to one safely from any one place in the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom