29 Gallon Tank Grandma aquarium

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My grandma wants to start an aquarium and I figured it should be something that doesn't need a lot of water changes (like every 2 weeks or less) if at all possible. I know that's not very often since I do mine every week though. Also something that would be simple to feed like that doesn't need it's pellets soaked would be nice. I know since I always soak my pellets to prevent swimbladder disease it isn't the best not to but maybe NLS or omega one flakes could be their staple. She wants a 20 or 29 gallon tank I think she's going with the 29 gallon.

Any stocking suggestions? She wants a tank with beginner live plants, gravel, slate tunnels, and driftwood. For fish she likes catfish like corydoras, glass catfish, glo danios, some kind of schooling fish, and would really like to have angelfish but I didn't really think they would fit in a 29 gal. She also likes frogs but I didn't think that would work.

Do you guys have any ideas with any of the fish above? Could a tank with most of those work? Any ideas with or without the fish ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You may get away with 2 wk water changes with very light stock. Choose fish with small bioloads. My Anacharis, bacopa and Vals are doing really well. Definite no on the Angels. Are they glofish danios or glowlight danios? Pygmy cories should be fine. I dont know anything about glass cats or frogs. I really like my Cardinal tetras for schooling fish. Frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp are not hard to feed and could vary the flake food once in awhile.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would have 8-10 pygmy or habrosus corydoras with either chili or harlequin rasboras. I can't believe I'm saying this but make sure the gravel isn't too sharp for the corys.
As for plants I can think of hornwort, frogbit, java moss, guppy grass... I would definitely do fast-growing easy plants. Anubias and java moss aren't fast-growing I believe, but they are usually very hardy. I actually just found a piece of java moss that I thought had died and it was growing between some of my filter media.
You could do 6 glo danios with some corydoras at the bottom, plus some stuff like hornwort, anubias and java moss.

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Are the pygmy cories the only corydora option? I like them a lot but I've had them before and had some trouble keeping them alive. Are there any that aren't as sensitive to nitrates? We like the rummynoses and the glofish. So maybe some rummynoses and or glofish, corydoras and or glass catfish, and a center piece?

What combo of these fish would work together best and look aesthetically pleasing
Not my aquarium but I really like opaline gouramis if there's a way that would work with the stuff she likes and would also be aesthetically pleasing

KSo

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I love sterbai corys, they seem to be a little more pricey, but they’re so cute and busy! If angelfish aren’t an option, how about pearl gouramis? Super pretty under the lights and super chill most of the time.

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
She just told me she doesn't want a gouarmi but thank for the suggestion. I'm not sure how much sterbai corys cost at my lfs since they're not on the website but we liked those. Does anyone know about the glass catfish or non- gouarmi center pieces?

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh yeah I forget to mention my grandparents have well water but I haven't gotten to test the parameters yet, but could that effect what fish she could have?

FlowerzTrollz

Reaction score
I think it would affect all fish honnestly. Ive had well water most of my life and not once was I able to use it for my fishies. I live in a place where we have a well and not a chance id use that water for my babies! Iron or sulphites are way to strong for fish health. I get bottle of water to drink and everyone including all my pets get that as well

As for low maintenance and cleaning, i personally would suggest a Betta. It doesnt need and shouldnt be fed every day. In such a big tank it would make very little messes so every couple weeks cleaning would be fair and possible. And they are so BEAUTIFUL ❤

I personally think if you have more than one fish/species, you risk a chnace to not have perfect parameters for all of them, its more maintenance, requires some learning as for food of you have corys at the bottom and tetras and also, there will be weekly cleaning and water change to do.

Some things to think about :) Cant wait to see what you decide on and pictures of it done!!

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No that shouldn't matter. There are a lot of people on here with well water. Maybe you should make a separate well water post and see what they say?

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Could this work?
7 rummynoses or Harlequin Rasbora
1 betta- a male could work, right?
8 corydoras of some kind

I guess feeding the betta a carnivorous diet would be difficult in a community. Wouldn't a sinking wafers for the corydoras or something be easy enough to feed? I don't think that it would be too hard for her to take care of the corydoras.

Also does anyone know all of the corydora options that we should look at?

I know above just the betta and Cory's were suggested but could a small school of fish work too?

Attachments

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mermish said:
Oh yeah I forget to mention my grandparents have well water but I haven't gotten to test the parameters yet, but could that effect what fish she could have?
Not really. I mean with most source water, test to see if its okay. Your tap could be worse than your well water, or maybe the other way around.
Mermish said:
Could this work?
8 corydoras of some kind

I guess feeding the betta a carnivorous diet would be difficult in a community. Wouldn't a sinking wafers for the corydoras or something be easy enough to feed? I don't think that it would be too hard for her to take care of the corydoras.

I think that could work, although a betta may be aggressive. Also I would not do panda corydoras, their temperature should be a bit lower than a bettas. The harlequins are fine and if I remember the rummynoses are too. I would personally get sterbais or albino(bronze variant). Or pygmys but I heard you've had bad luck with them. However you may or may not be able to get away with a water change for 2 weeks. But I'm not too familiar with specific schedules so I won't assume.
FlowerzTrollz said:
It doesnt need and shouldnt be fed every day.
Really? I don't honestly see a problem with feeding healthy bettas every day, as long as the food and portion is appropriate.

FitSoldier

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh trust me. I HATE doing tank maintenance and water changes! If I was rich, I'd hire someone to do it for me. But it's very possible to have a setup where you do water changes bi-weekly or even monthly. I've kept a 3" - 4" Green Terror Cichlid in a 20 gallon alone (grow out) and by the end of the month, nitrates was about 10PPM.

I don't have much experience with those kinds of fish, but since you mentioned Goldfish, if you can bump the 29 gallon up to a 40 gallon, you can keep 1 Blood Parrot. Just that 1 Blood Parrot in the tank and you can very much do water changes once every 2 - 3 weeks. Fish also kind of looks like a Goldfish but doesn't grow as big. You may also be able to throw in a few Plecos too (the smaller variety, not the common Pleco).

FlowerzTrollz

Reaction score
Personally, if i would do the Betta, because of the constant risk of agression and sickness, i would keep him alone especially if you get a male.

Even if the wafers for the corys drop at the bottom, your betta will end up going after it if he sees it and then that could be a source of fight. Your corys may end up not even wanting to try to feed themselves...

And again, personally, if you want to do water change every two weeks instead of every week, the suggestion list you have made have way too many fishes to accomplish that. Youll need every week water change with that many

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mermish said:
Could this work?
8 corydoras of some kind

I know above just the betta and Cory's were suggested but could a small school of fish work too?
That would work, but not if you want to do 2 week water changes

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So is a school of albino cories a school of rummy noses and a center piece too much then? A betta would be nice but if that wouldn't work would another centerpiece work? I guess I have too many fish for every 2 week water changes, so what do you guys think? I guess I'm being a bit stubborn but I think she'll like an active tank better. Will plants help?

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FinalFins said:
If you want an active tank you could get 10-15 rummynose and leave it at that.. but not sure how they would take longer time between WC
I've seen some stuff that says they are like intermediate because they like pristine water, do you think they'll be okay with less water changes then?

New Threads