Grand Forks Area

1. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

so i am seriously starting to consider jumping the border (from Manitoba) to Grand Forks to go shopping and need a wack load of excuses "not" to. Mostly being is the dollar per gallon sale going on and I'm seriously considering getting some shell dwellers. As well as other goodies.

AND with that in mind, does anyone know what you need to transport fish over the border? I seriously doubt its as easy as saying " yeah I bought tanks and live fish." "Ok, have a nice trip."

(Road trip would be between last week of July and first week of august)

2. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

I think I would call your border control and see what the requirements are, that way you don't run the risk of getting you fish seized.
    Write down the name of the person you talk with just in case.

3. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Crud... those guys make me twitch. I had a bad experience crossing by myself, my boss didn't fill out the paperwork properly and he almost turned me back into the states. My deer in the headlights look convinced him I was clueless and he filled it out for me properly. :)

4. James17

That's why you get your ducks in a row early then there will be no problems. :D

5. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

IT WAS RUBBER DUCKS I WAS BRINGING BACK!!! Oh the irony of that sentence... I'm laughing my head off right now.

6. James17

Well don't do ducks this time just fish and tanks.

7. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Yeah... :D heehee...

So I'm just reading now, I have to have proof of identity of the fish and proof of ownership. If I have that I don't need a permit but I'm in hitting petco/petvalue then I won't have a positive ID. Urg.

8. James17

I guess I'd figure out what I wanted to get, then I'd print pictures with descriptions of each different fish. Maybe that would help.

9. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Might... I got time to research this anyways.

10. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

US Customs I don't think will bother you it will your fellow countrymen that cause you pain. Check on any banned species that Canada may not permit into the country.
    Considering the USD to CAD exchange rate are you sure you want to do this?

Seems like a pretty expensive trip. Though I have no idea what fish costs in Canada...

11. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Kinda ignoring the price tag right now. :) it's way more fun. But if all else, I'll hold off on it.

12. Keystone

Keystone Well Known Member Member

Wouldn't your receipt that lists each individual fish and the price paid and the change given to you count as proof of ownership. All the big box stores have their name, address, phone number and time of purchase printed on the receipt.

13. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

I honesty have no idea. I know of to many places that mislabeled fish and if they're fonna be picky about it, that might not be enough.