Grammar, Please! Important

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AquaticJ, Apr 11, 2018.

1. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

I’ve recently noticed an overwhelming amount of posts that contain absolutely no punctuation, and are riddled with spelling errors. Obviously I don’t expect perfectly placed commas, apostrophes, ect. Also, I don’t mean people who live in/are from countries where English isn’t their native language. Unfortunately, every time I’ve checked the profiles of people who do it, they’re always from English speaking countries. Sorry to rant, but come on people, it makes it a chore to read your posts. (And we’re all here to help you with fish issues)

2. Rylan

Rylan Well Known Member Member

Dyslexia is also a thing. Just sayin’.

3. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

i Willz tri beter nect time.

4. OP
    OP
    AquaticJ

Well obviously I don’t mean that either, I’m just talking about people who are being lazy.

5. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

TL, DR. :)

It c0uLD b w0r53. P03pl3 c0uld wr173 1n l33t. Or they b tlkn in dis way.

Yo dey could be jivin' in ebonix Jus' like Orenthawl James. (Ebonics)

6. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think its laziness - some people do not "realize" that they are doing anything incorrectly or maybe just not "knowing" or ever learned the correct way to write.
    Just because they are from our country does not mean that they are educated or learned correct spelling/grammar. Just sayin'

7. Rylan

I just bring it up because I’m from a state where the public schools are almost the worst in the 50 states and some aren’t equipped for teaching students with dyslexia or teaching students period so some people just genuinely don’t know any better. Or they’re freakin’ about their fish and trying to type too fast lol. heh, how do you like that run on sentence? ;)

I laughed so hard at this. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  8. Junne

I do have somewhat of a pet peeve when I do not understand what the writer is trying to convey, I'm just trying to see the other side of the coin. I don't think people purposely try and spell bad or use bad grammar. Many are probably embarrassed about it. Funny thing is, I know plenty of people who are highly educated but have terrible spelling and or grammar.

9. OP
    OP
    AquaticJ

Good point, but I think a lot of the time it is laziness. I guess I can’t be certain though!

I was wondering if you did that on purpose. I’m not going to directly call anyone out though, that wouldn’t be cool. Oh poop, I double posted. *deletes account*

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  10. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

The most common mistakes I find on here are comma splices :p.

I agree with you to an extent. As long as I understand what one writes in a clear manner, I don’t mind too much. Sure, my brows lift a little when I see English speakers use it’s possessively when it should be its, or they’re when it should be their.

What gets riled sometimes are acronyms, but not for myself but on others’ behalf. If a person just joined, then please just spell it out, instead of using shortcuts. It doesn’t take long. I promise.

Edit: Blame the American education system.

11. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Another thing is text speak. Please read the rules for posting. There is a large body of people in the world that do not text. I would think that with a topic as important as the lives of your fish that people would speak as clearly as possible.

This is no joke. There are many threads that I will not answer because of these things. I know there are other long time members that are the same way.

12. OP
    OP
    AquaticJ

My biggest pet peeve is the your/you’re mistake.

13. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Dude, I’m not reading that!

14. OP
    OP
    AquaticJ

What’s weird though is, as long as the first and last letter of a word are correctly placed, most people can still read it fast. Lol. I’m 22, so I always get text talk, but I understand that there’s a lot of older adults who have no idea what any of it means. Plus, this isn’t texting! Besides, real text talk was when we had the flip phones that you had to press one button up to three times just to get a letter. Saying “u” actually saved time, but now we have keyboards on our phones.

15. Rylan

Speaking of phones, I think part of the problem is the autocorrect feature on our phones or computers. I can’t even begin to tell you how often my phone/mac will change words into the wrong thing, like it knows better. Example: ‘We’re going to the fish store’ changes to ‘Were going to the fish store.’ How dare you Siri! How DARE you!

16. OP
    OP
    AquaticJ

My autocorrect is turned off for that exact reason!

17. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Spellimg doesnt bother me as much as 1 great big block of text. the Tiny little buttons on the keyboard always spell my words wrong.

If i cant understand someones post ill just move on to the next one. Its not something that i really ever worry about.

18. Rylan

Actually, now that you say that, I’ve noticed even professional writers are the worst at good grammar/spelling/punctuation. That’s why they’ve got editors like @AquaticJ who live for that stuff. It’s really quite amusing at times.

19. Junne

To put things in to a humorous perspective, I'm embarrassed to say that my math sucks! But, I am great at spelling/grammar. I guess we can't be great at everything!
    But, like another person had mentioned about not reading the post and moving on, I find myself not responding to people who write walls and walls of text with no line breaks, commas, etc.

20. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

this is my first post without any capitalization or proper punctuation
    i usually always use grammar when posting, it's what i do.

atl3@st im n0t tl3kin lik3 th0s all th3 tim3.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice