Grade My Purple Mystery Snails?

1. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I got 7 purple Mystery Snails the other day and only 2 actually look really purple. Is this normal for them to change to a more brown color? Will I still get purple babies if they breed? 4ec92ce7ab1b1bb4feb60a1aa46cd7c1.jpg 8f436c01772b7ee13c50cd89e4587060.jpg dbafdc59af28288e3155c41953fef6f4.jpg ec5e100ed0f93636d98b9ee764a3de72.jpg 585fe9906d4e64607cbf479b765c82ea.jpg

2. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

I give them a C+ unless we're talking NCEA. In that case I give them a grade of Acheived.

3. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

They don't even look like purples........

4. OP
    OP
    O

lol So less than stellar students huh?
    I just want some really purple snails and some of these just look plain brown. But maybe that's normal?
    I'm thinking about contacting the lady I traded them for and telling her I want some that are more purple, but I don't wanna do that is they are fine and their brownish color is normal.

5. Cori Elizabeth

Cori Elizabeth Well Known Member Member

C grade

Y
    You can definitely get more purple snails, I'd ask the lady for more purple ones. Unless she has really muddy blood lines.

6. OP
    OP
    O

Yikes! Maybe I should contact her and tell her I'm not happy with most of them. I want Purple! lol

7. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I'd contact her. You traded for purple snails, not brown (I remember the tread from last night).

8. Cori Elizabeth

Cori Elizabeth Well Known Member Member

Maybe you should just get higher grade mysteries

9. OP
    OP
    O

Well I messaged her. The thing is it was a trade. I think now I got taken a bit. I'll see what she has to say. If she doesn't have any better ones I'll see about ordering some when I order some more fish. AquaticArts looks like they have some nice ones.

She said they get more brown as they get older/larger. Is that true?

Now I feel pretty bad. I really don't/didn't know a lot about Mystery Snails as they have never been my thing and I've only kept Nerites. I thought maybe what she was saying was true and that that's just how they are. She said they were bright purple when they were littler. Hopefully she'll be willing to give some more purple ones. If not I'm not gonna fight with her about it. I'll just keep the 2 that actually look purple and sell the others as brown Mystery Snails. I'm sure other people will still like them. I only wanted them cause, purple.

Would it be fair to sell them as Brown Mystery Snails? Or what should I call them?

10. MattS99

I'd call them brown.

11. OP
    OP
    O

So from some searching I just did and should have done yesterday they are "Wild Type"?

12. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Hard to say - my purples looked like this and stayed this color. If they turned brown, they weren't true purples......

baby%20magenta%20snail.jpg

CSC_0440.jpg

CSC_0885.jpg

13. OP
    OP
    O

I think I'll wait to see what she has to say, but if she is rude and is not willing to give me some more purples I might just have to go there. She said she sells them online and ships them out. I bet she wouldn't stay in business very long if these are the snails she is shipping.

14. MattS99

I don't think she has much of a future with these snails either. Most people aren't as confrontational as me either though. But I see this as getting screwed over. I'm colorblind and I can even see that they're not purple. She has no excuses.

15. OP
    OP
    O

I know I should have done some more research before getting them, but I guess I still just wanna be able to trust people. I mean I know how to feed them and that they need calcium for their shells, but I know nothing about colors and how they work/change.

16. JLeeM

If this were true, that means she sent you old mysteries about ready to die. They don't live super long as it is.

17. OP
    OP
    O

Well this is just getting worse and worse. I'll update this if I hear back from her. If not I don't know what to do. I don't wanna rip someone else off.
    I was thinking of asking $10 for 5 of them. That's cheaper than they are at the stores and gets me a little of my money back. Julii Corydoras are not cheap.

She also said they were a few months old so not to expect babies anytime soon. That it could take a few months if I was hoping for babies.

18. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Also I want to add, those don't look very healthy - I say that because I see lots of cracks in the shell like a lack of calcium or something. Babies under 6 months old should have smooth shells and have a nice sheen to them. Sorry, not trying to be rude but just pointing something out so next time you will know :)

19. JLeeM

How big are they?

EDIT: Strongly agree with post above me. They don't look healthy.

20. OP
    OP
    O

Well maybe I should just give them away.
    I had noticed that their shells looked kinda rough, but thought that maybe it wasn't a big deal and feeding them some good food would fix it.
    I appreciate the info. Now I will know better for next time.

They are about the size of a quarter around or a bit bigger and smaller.
    They do have a bit of a purple sheen to them in the right light, but not enough to really call it purple.
    I really just wanted them cause purple is my favorite color and I thought they'd be the perfect addition to my 10 gal tank. After I got them from her I was hoping if they had babies I might get some that were a lot more purple.