GPH of Sponge Filter

Blondeath

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How can I tell which sponge filter to get? The ones I’ve seen don’t list a gallon per hour they just say 5 gallon and up or 40 gallon and up etc.

And what turn over rate do you want for a sponge filter?
HOB is 8-10x
Canister is like 5x
What is the sponges?

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score

pgmoney

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depends on airflow and length of tube coming from top of sponge filter, longer is more powerful

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Swiss Tropicals has some sponge filters that, if you check the details on the JetLifters, do specify a GPH, though it's still going to depend on the air flow.

In addition to air flow, an issue with any sponge filter that uses an air stone is the air stone blocks the path, slowing the water and forcing it to go around. The JetLifter/CubeLifter used by Swiss Tropicals eliminates this issue by forcing the air through small holes in the perimeter of the lift tube. This also avoids the issue of clogged air stones.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love my swiss tropical corner filter. It has a low flow in the tank but agitates the whole surface corner to corner. Takes a strong air pump but it's nice imo. I have a hob running also just for more filtration and incase in need the hob for another tank.

Blondeath

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone I just want to make sure my tank has enough flow so things don’t go wrong

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Most hobbyists with "fish rooms" and breeders primarily rely on sponge filtere and weekly water changes. Sometime an Aquaclear or cheap Penguin is added.

There are tons of YouTube videos of fishroom tours, where dozens of fish tanks use primarily sponge filters.

Also, a sponge filter made of coarse foam will flow more water vs. one with fine foam. Sometimes one of each is good. In our 55 gallon Mbuna tank, we have a canister, a HOB and a double stacked sponge filter with the coarse on bottom and fine on top.

Blondeath , how is your tank stocked and how large is it?

Blondeath

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Islandvic said:
Most hobbyists with "fish rooms" and breeders primarily rely on sponge filtere and weekly water changes. Sometime an Aquaclear or cheap Penguin is added.

There are tons of YouTube videos of fishroom tours, where dozens of fish tanks use primarily sponge filters.

Also, a sponge filter made of coarse foam will flow more water vs. one with fine foam. Sometimes one of each is good. In our 55 gallon Mbuna tank, we have a canister, a HOB and a double stacked sponge filter with the coarse on bottom and fine on top.

Blondeath , how is your tank stocked and how large is it?
I have a 20 gallon L with 8 cories and a betta with some snails in it and a 10 gallon that I’m about to set up

how does the double stacked sponge work?

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blondeath , Here are 2 pics of the double stacked sponge filters you asked about.

Basically they are two individual sponge filters, but the top one (w/ fine foam) doesn't have the base connected and instead is inserted into the bottom sponge filter.

The brand is ATI. The top one is their Hydro Sponge II and the bottom one is their Hydro Sponge III Pro model. Any of the ATI products with the word Pro in the name uses coarse foam.

1573833764117.png

1573833843700.png

The air line running down along the right corner has nothing to do with the sponge filters. It goes into the substrate then runs toward the left side of the tank.

With this set up in our 55 gallon African cichlid tank, the bottom coarse sponge does a very good job with drawing in debris, especially on side facing the corner. The coarse foam is able to trap more muck without affecting flow. Even the top fine foam will catch a lot of muck.

I buy my ATI products online from the Ken's Fish site. They seem to have the best selection and prices for ATI sponge filters, pre-filters and individual parts (Jehmco is the only other website with similar selection and pricing for ATI). The entire line of ATI sponge filter products have a modular design and the parts are interchangeable, with all the individual components available to purchase separately.

All of my tanks use ATI sponge filters, and my HOB's and canisters use their Filter Max III sponge pre-filters as well.

1573834845926.png

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The photo of the stacked coarse/fine sponges makes me wonder if anyone has tried hollowing out a coarse sponge and putting a fine sponge in the void. Coarse wrapped around the outside of fine. Might be an issue getting it clean unless the fine sponge slipped out easily, but it seems like a progressive two stage approach would be superior to a larger single stage.

Blondeath

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JayH said:
The photo of the stacked coarse/fine sponges makes me wonder if anyone has tried hollowing out a coarse sponge and putting a fine sponge in the void. Coarse wrapped around the outside of fine. Might be an issue getting it clean unless the fine sponge slipped out easily, but it seems like a progressive two stage approach would be superior to a larger single stage.
I love this idea lol

Blondeath

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Islandvic said:
Blondeath , Here are 2 pics of the double stacked sponge filters you asked about.

Basically they are two individual sponge filters, but the top one (w/ fine foam) doesn't have the base connected and instead is inserted into the bottom sponge filter.

The brand is ATI. The top one is their Hydro Sponge II and the bottom one is their Hydro Sponge III Pro model. Any of the ATI products with the word Pro in the name uses coarse foam.

1573833764117.png

1573833843700.png

The air line running down along the right corner has nothing to do with the sponge filters. It goes into the substrate then runs toward the left side of the tank.

With this set up in our 55 gallon African cichlid tank, the bottom coarse sponge does a very good job with drawing in debris, especially on side facing the corner. The coarse foam is able to trap more muck without affecting flow. Even the top fine foam will catch a lot of muck.

I buy my ATI products online from the Ken's Fish site. They seem to have the best selection and prices for ATI sponge filters, pre-filters and individual parts (Jehmco is the only other website with similar selection and pricing for ATI). The entire line of ATI sponge filter products have a modular design and the parts are interchangeable, with all the individual components available to purchase separately.

All of my tanks use ATI sponge filters, and my HOB's and canisters use their Filter Max III sponge pre-filters as well.

1573834845926.png
I have a pre sponge too!

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blondeath said:
How can I tell which sponge filter to get? The ones I’ve seen don’t list a gallon per hour they just say 5 gallon and up or 40 gallon and up etc.

And what turn over rate do you want for a sponge filter?
HOB is 8-10x
Canister is like 5x
What is the sponges?
With the sponge filter it depend on the air pump power,the more air out the faster water out.Most of sponge filter in market are weak.When they advertised for 55 gallons tank.,you might thing that sponge filter only good for 10 gallons tank flow...and it is big and take space under water...I am thinking if they up their air line to 10k psi then that sponge filter match with their advertise....:)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom