Gph For Return Pump

DivingBellSpider

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just a quick question. I have a 90 gallon aquarium, with a 29 gallon sump. I just got a return pump with a 1050 GPH. Since I’ve heard that the return pump does not provide most of the circulation, it’s the power heads, should that be enough? Or should I get the next size up which has a max GPH of around 1300 gph?

Last edited:

Asomeone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Is this for a freshwater or salty tank? If salt its not a big deal since youre right, the powerheads will do most of the work. If fresh thats still good enough 10x per hour is plenty. Be mindful you'll lose a good hundred 2 hundred gph based on head height. Still even at 600-800gph you'd probably be alright if youre supplementing with powerheads (for salt).

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just a quick question. I have a 90 gallon aquarium, with a 29 gallon sump. I just got a return pump with a 1050 GPH. Since I’ve heard that the return pump does not provide most of the circulation, it’s the power heads, should that be enough? Or should I get the next size up which has a max GPH of around 1300 gph?
I run a Jebao DC 8000T pump which is rated max for just over 2100gph with the exact same setup. While it's true that 1050gph in theory should be enough the question is how hard do you want your pump to be working at all times. Mine runs at about 40% and seems to work best on that setting. With a 1050gph you are going to need to run it at about 80% to get the exact same flow rate which will likely lead to more wear and tear on the pump over time. It is true that powerheads will generally do more flow but remember that powerheads only circulate, they don't help filter the way a sump/return pump system does.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 21 72.4%

Top Bottom