Gozer's 45 Gallon Planted Tank

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Almost a month and a half

Well, everything is looking pretty good. My PH stays right about 7, nitrates and such are pretty good. Though, I did have something of a mini cycle when I removed the carbon. The bio media wasn't quite ready to take it on alone. Doing good now though. The Dwarf Babies Tears has had a tough time but I think it's coming back. It started going brown untill I started adding Iron. Greening back up pretty well and starting to grow again. The other plants have done very well. I kind of wish I had picked up more of the Vals but time will fix that for me. The Water Sprite is probably my favorite. I love the leaf shape. The Wentii Crypts have a nice red color as do the Ludwigia. I started having a little bit of algae but 4 Otos have cured that. If they eat much more I'll be feeding algae but for now the algae is growing just fast enough that they always have a patch some where to eat. I kind of like the green patches on the statue.

Kevin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
looks good, all the plants have grown up nicely!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea, the tank has come a long ways from the 1st pic. ;D

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Update time. I've been fighting a nasty battle with this tank for a couple weeks. First off my Ph started climbing. It got up to about 8ish. I brought it back down to 7ish overtime and have been using Neutral Regulator to keep it down. The real trouble was from my stupidity in buying fish from the Walmart. I bought 3 Emperor Tetras quite awhile back. They were fine till 2 weeks ago. 2 of them developed a strange worm thing in a bubble. Never seen anything like it before but the ones still at Walmart all died with the same worm thing. I did one round of Meracide (I think that's the name). Then I did daily light doses of Quick Cure for a week with medicated food also. The worms are gone now but I noticed some reddness around my male Gouramis gills and possibly some white bumps. The fish at Walmart have the same reddnes and definite bumps. So, I'm treating for that now. This just reinforces the lesson I guess. Emperor Tetras have been mighty hard to find for me so I bought them even though I know better. The Otos seem to be fine. They just keep eating.

Plantwise, the tank is doing fair. The Water Sprite loves it's life and I've actually sold a couple clumps to my LFS. The Ludwigia is doing pretty good. They seem to shed a lot of leaves. The lower half is mostly just stem with the upper half full of leaves. The upper couple inches has a pretty good red color. The Vals are fairing well. I've also sold a couple runners from them. They aren't getting very dense but I've been kind of keeping them that way in an effort to spread them out to a bigger area. The Red Wentii Crypts look pretty good. They eventually lost all of their original leaves to melting but all have a plethora of new leaves. The new leaves have come in much slimmer and shorter. I think it's the depth of my tank. Unfortunately I had to give up on the Hemianthus. It struggled just to hang on, never developed any new roots and was a haven for algae. I finally pulled it and moved a couple things a little. The Anubias has put on a couple new leaves but is looking slightly yellowish. It is also kind of hard to clean. The leaves are a kinda rough and slow growing so the algae gets on there and doesn't like to come off. I've been using Flourish twice a week, Flourish Potassium 3 times a week, and Iron 6 days a week. I think I want CO2. I think it would help a lot. I also think I want another light. Right now I have the Nova Extreme and a standard 24 inch strip. I'm at about 2 WPG but the narrow strip light causes all the plants to bend to the front when they get taller. I think I'll add a 36 inch strip. That won't be too much more light but will spread it across the length of the tank. I want to get a CO2 kit first though. Just one of those little yeast kit things.

Anyway, Just thought I'd update. Feel free to leave me any thoughts, questions or advcie about what I'm doing with this tank. It's an all new frontier for me so I take every bit of advice I get.

PS I'll post new pictures after I get finished with this sick fish nightmare I brought on myself. Seeing that green water just makes me sad. Atleast everyone (I think and hope) is gonna make it through.

Wow that was a heck of a post.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
:;bananahiHi Gozer_1, just read all the way through this post, and your tank is lovely.

Can you pinpoint just what brought your ph up?

Sounds like a horrible worm scourge! I have had bumps before on gouramis, which ended up killing them....but I think that often comes with gouramis...

I just ordered some Roseline sharks! Puntius denisonii, from corysrus......in my shoes it is almost better to chance shipping than to get fish from my LFS. It isn't walmart, but the death rate is similar, and lately they lost their fish expert...I haven't bought from them since....The price was GREAT, I'm getting 12 with the idea in mind that maybe I'll have some to share with others up here.....

Plants are one thing I haven't really explored yet. All of my tanks have some, but as far as trying to have a really PLANTED tank, I feel I fall short. Nothing like yours or Isabellas....

Gozer, I was wondering why you go to Turf Conventions? Are you into landscaping? Just ask because that is part of what we do in our business....

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks Susitna.

I'm not sure on the ph. It was stable at 7 for awhile and then one day I tested and it was 7.5 on up over a couple weeks. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what the ph of the various Flourish products is. Might be one source but it seems a lot of other planted tanks I've read about had higher ph levels. CO2 injection will lower the ph so maybe the ph swing is an indicator of needing to use some CO2.

Yeah, I've seen these bumps before on other fish. The Tetras at Walmart have them and likely my Tetras. I just noticed it first on the Gourami. I think they're going to be fine. I'm going to do a water change tomorrow and add some carbon for a day. If needed I'll do a second run of meds after that.

I love those Roselines. I'm a huge large Barb fan. A few Roselines would go oh so well with my Tin Foils. Oh if I had the space.

I'm a golf course assitant superintendant. So, I deal with LOTS of grass lol. Lots and lots lol. Close to 200 acres of groomed fairways, cropped tees, fast greens and shaggy rough. (I think it's close to 200 atleast 150 lol) My avatar pictue is at my course. We send a couple guys to the trade show every year. My boss is in Florida right now at a huge Superintendants tourney and convention.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I did lawn maintanence for several years and am a "certified pesticide applicator"..... cough, cough...not the favorite person to many ....but it sure makes the lawns look Good! IPM though, is my motto! & I'm sticking to it!

Mushrooms are my worst problem up here, cause you don't have any control on how many stumps are buried under a lawn. Cottonwood trees are another.....they send out runners that never quit, they will bust up asphault, and break sewer lines! It is far and few between though to find the right job for a fat, OLD woman... I love to ride my John Deer mower though....
That's the life....I am sure you enjoy your work...

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I too am a certified applicator so you are in good company lol. Gotta do what ya gotta do. I hear ya about Cottonwoods or CottonwEEds as I like to call them. Our worst "enemy" is Kotia. That stuff just won't die.

Well it's all clear now. Everyones doing fine and the waters great. I added 2 Cory cats and 2 tiny Emperors. 1 more Cory and I think my stock list is complete.

2 Gold Gouramis
2 Male Guppies
2 Cories (Will be 3)
3 Otos
6 Emperor Tetras.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Absolutly LOVELY! Your tank looks like it has a good balance between fish and plants. How do your nitrates run?

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
susitna-flower said:
Absolutly LOVELY! Your tank looks like it has a good balance between fish and plants. How do your nitrates run?
Thank You.

This weeks Nitrate test results were some where around 0.02 or 0.03. ;D

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Love it! I remember when Triton was all alone.. Looks great now.

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My oh my, the last few weeks have been a down right tough bunch.The tank is looking pretty thin these days. All but the Crypts are very stressed or atleast were. The Vals took it the worst and the Ludwigia is none too happy. The mysterious worm from Walmart incident and resulting heavy medication and such took a heavy toll on the plant population. The Water Sprite is coming back nicely. It was mostly just in need of a trim. The same goes for the Ludwigia. In my tall tank the Ludwigia get spindley and shed a bazzillion leaves. I'm seriously thinking of replacing them. Maybe more Sprite or some Swords. My poor Vals have dwindled to few and far between. I removed the driftwood because it was crushing the Vals so they were already having a tough time. The treatment period affected them pretty bad. They're making a come back though. The Wendtii Crypts are just fine. I even moved one of them and it didn't melt at all. Hmmm The last bit of bad news is that Neptune has to go. The paint is bubbling up all over the place and has flaked off in places. Just don't want that in my tank. So, Horsey is king of the fish now. Oh well, Neptune is the reason I could fit the driftwood in very well so I may just switch them. On a lighter note. I added 2 more Cories for a total of 4 and at long last I got 2 Spotted Raphael Catfish. They are for the 150 but need to grow out first. Don't want them to be an expensive Oscar meal. The tank is officially overstocked lol. I said I wasn't gonna but Oh well I did atleast till the Raphs move out. The price for that is the algea problem I've been fighting.You can see in the picture I have some nice Beard algea I believe it's called. My poor Anubias is fighting it's way through the gloom to show it still has a flower lol. Poor thing, it's so hard to get that kind of algea off of the leaves.

Anyway, just thought I'd catch up. thanks for checking.

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi!

Geez, pretty bad past few weeks for that poor tank.

neverendingninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Gozer_1 said:
This weeks Nitrate test results were some where around 0.02 or 0.03. ;D
That would be the reason for your stressed out plants and algae outbreak, unfortunately. You should look into dosing dry ferts.

Look into it. You won't regret it

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OK update time. I've been dreading this. :-[ As you may know I had a series of problems with this tank. I don't think my Nitrates are a problem. They barely show up on the test. 0.02 is pretty low. It all started with the worms. While treating the tank for worms my 5 yr old Gourami got an infection. I got it cleared up but it would come right back. Over the last week or so he began getting thinner and started losing color. By this point nothing would clear him up. Sadly, I felt I needed to put him to rest. It was a tough choice but he was very ill. I needed to think about the wellfare of the other tankmates and he wasn't going to make it in the 10 gal hospital. 5 is a fair age for a Gold Gourami and I'm guessing his immune system just gave in. He lived a wild life including a short while rooming with a very small Oscar and some large Iridescent sharks. Big tanks and little tanks. He was notably happiest in this tank. Live plants make a major difference for your fishes overall health. Things are starting to get back to normal. I will be replacing the Ludwigia as soon as possible. In higher light it may do better but in my tank it is a massive leaf shedder. Making me crazy in fact. I also have a problem with tufts of blackish algea I believe is called beard algea, not sure though. Whatever it is, it is hard to remove even with scrubby pads and a tooth brush. The Water Sprite has a regular green algea issue. I don't think the Otos like trying to eat off the oddly shaped leaves or something. Thinking about adding a couple more Otos. The Crypts seem to absolutely love life. I highly recommend Wendtii crypts. I've had zero problems with them. The Vals took a dive with the sick tank problem but are making a come back. They too do a nice job of staying algea free. The Anuias is Beard algea heaven and VERY VERY difficult to clean off. It bloomed though so it must be some measure of happy.

Well, I hope the next update is better news.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
:'( We're sorry to hear that you lost your Gourami.

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He was a gentle old man even for a Gourami.

On another note, a friend is looking for a new home for an small 2 or 3 inch Angel. It's currently housed in a 55 with 4 or 5 inch Oscar which he also wants to give me. I don't know much about Angels at all. I don't know if my 45 is right for one with all the Tetras and lone female Gourami. It is a 45 tall so that would be nice. I feel oh so sorry for it. The Oscar is not very healthy at all. I feel like I could bring it back but after this worm battle tank wipe out I don't know if I want to go through more. It has a bad case of Hole in the head. A common Oscar problem, heck mine has a few spots and she eats like a queen. This other Oscar is very pale in color and just looks under nourished. Anyway, the Oscar is for another topic, the 150 that is already full. What do you think about adding a poor mistreated Angel? Would it fair well with 6 Tetras, 1 Female Gold Gourami, 4 Corys, 3 Otos and two baby Raph cats in a 45 tall, atleast for awhile? I guess the other question would be, will my Tetras fair well with an Angel? This one is pretty humbled at this point.
I've decided to try Amazon Swords instead of Ludwigia as soon as I can get some, by the way.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't be able to help myself and would have to bring that angel home. Tetras often make good dither fish for the angels so the only thing I'd be thinking about is the gourami. But I'd put both fish into seperate q. tanks, if possible, and give them a chance to make it.

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well the angel has gone through a huge transformation from a white pale down trodden fish to a golden beauty who loves life. Even the kink in her top fin is smoothing out. I now see why people fall in love with Angelfish. She gets so excited to see people now. A month and a half from when I got her and you wouldn't know it was the same fish.

The Ludwigia is gone now and I plan to get some Amazon Swords later this summer. I'm going to have to get rid of the Anubias. The beard algea is too mighty. The only thing it is affecting is the Anubias. It's growing well but looks terrible. I may trim all but the two good leaves off after a bleach water dip to give it one last chance. Everything else is good though. The SAEs are doing very well. Adorable little guys.

Anyway, just dropping in to update.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
:;bananawarrior Great to hear the angel is doing so great!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom