Gouramis

AlliConstantine

Reaction score
I recently added 2 dwarf gouramis, 3 spot gourami (all male) and a male and female honey gourami to my community tank after seeing in a few places they were good community fish. Since adding them it’s come up that although they are good community fish, they are not good with other gouramis. Have I made a mistake? It’s been a week since the 5 have been together with little signs of aggression. TIA

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fish are all individuals. They need to have enough space for territories. If you don’t see any stress (hiding, not moving much, not eating) or physical signs (bitten fins) then you’re fine. Just keep an eye on them.

Tankmandan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
3 Spot Gourami's and all their colour morphs can be aggressive with each other and other community fish. We have a single male Gourami in all 4 of our tanks and they were doing fine until recently. Our male Platinum Gourami (3 Spot colour morph) has recently started attacking the fins of the other smaller fish, killing 1 ember tetra and 1 congo tetra :( . That Gourami had plenty of places to hide and would use these areas also as stalking points, we had to remove him to our quarantine tank. My experience with having more then one male Gourami in a tank was also not good as they fought with each other, yet other then the Platinum the other Gourami's are doing great as a single along side guppies, platy's, loachs, barbs, tetras, corys, snails and shrimp. I do believe with a large enough tank and many places for the Gourami's to carve out there own territory they can get along together.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AlliConstantine said:
I recently added 2 dwarf gouramis, 3 spot gourami (all male) and a male and female honey gourami to my community tank after seeing in a few places they were good community fish. Since adding them it’s come up that although they are good community fish, they are not good with other gouramis. Have I made a mistake? It’s been a week since the 5 have been together with little signs of aggression. TIA
What size tank?

I’d guess you got 2 male dwarf gourami (they’re both colorful?). If so, I’d watch them very close as aggression is likely.

Nobote

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You may experience some aggression and fighting at some point...especially as the fish get bigger and experience hormone changes with spawning. Its not an ideal situation...but not a total recipe for disaster either. Good luck and if there starts to be problems...rearrange the aquarium decor and plants if possible.
All your gouramis are going to spend time in the upper 3rd of the water column. Some floating plants ... Brazillian pennywort, hornwort. Red root floaters etc will help break up line of sight.

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The dwarf gourami in particular are likely to get nasty with each other in a few months once they are more acclimated. The three spot will become the largest of all your gourami and they may decide once they put some more size on that the dwarf gourami, if they haven't already killed each other, are good targets. The honey gourami are the only ones in this group that tend to do well in groups. Personally I'd take all but the honey gourami back to the store and get the same number of fish you took back in honey gouramis so you can enjoy the (peaceful) social dynamics of a group of that one species.

New Threads