Gouramis

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by jabber, Apr 21, 2006.

1. jabberNew MemberMember

I have a question about my gouramis. I know I have a male and a female. They are beautiful fish. My problem is I think they keep wanting to spawn and I don't know what to do. The male is being very aggressive he hasn't built a bubble nest yet, I haven't really given him any material to do that because I really don't want baby fish right now. Can you help with any suggestion's. I'm kind of worried about the 6 tiger barbs and the female gourami.

2. Marc

MarcWell Known MemberMember

If you have a strong enough current they won't breed. Gouramis tend to be territorial so the male is acting normal.

3. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

But wouldn't making a strong current be stressful to them? Of course Bettas can't be kept in breeding pairs, but if they could that would be like making a strong current in a Betta tank so they wouldn't breed, wouldn't it? I think Gouramis like still water too...

4. Marc

MarcWell Known MemberMember

Strong enough, not strong! :)

As long as a bubble nest can't stay stable.

5. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

But the bubblenest is at the top, which is where Anabantids like to swim. If you don't want fry, the best thing to do is not get a pair, not try to prevent them from spawning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice