Gouramis take 3

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by josaar, Jul 31, 2014.

1. j

josaar New Member Member

Hi. This is my first post so my apologies if this is in the wrong area. I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank. I had a 29 gallon tank that had 5 glolite tetras, a blue dwarf Gourami, a red flame Gourami, and a couple of mollies. I cycled the 55 gallon and it has been up now for 6 months.I moved all of my fish over to the new tank, used all of the exiting plastic plants and such from the 29 gallon. All has been fine for the last 3 months. I introduced new fish slowly over the next couple of months (scissortail, swordtail, 2 angel fish, a black skirt tetra, and two albino plecos). Everything has been fine. The fish eat fine, I put in some live plants slowly and now have a good mix of fake and live. Still everything is fine for a month or so. About 3 weeks ago I started noticing that my blue dwarf gourami is staying in one place near the corner of the tank. Upon further review a couple of days later I see the stomach looks a bit bloated, the poo is long and white and I think I see some pine coning going on. I Quarantine it in a hanging tank off the side. I got some dropsy medicine from the LFS and, well the gourami died the next day. Bummed because the blue gourami was one of the first fish I got a year ago with the 29 gallon starter tank...I go to the LFS and get another one. A week goes by and I start to see that the flame red gourami is acting a bit like the blue one did before I noticed the pine coning. I quarantine it and I see that the stomach is poking out and minor pine coming is going on. It dies a few days later. Now I am down to one blue (the one that I replaced the first one with) and it is sitting at the bottom of the tank and, only upon nudging did it dart across the tank only to reveal that it seems to be a bit out of balance...and starts swimming in circles. Almost like it cant use its tail.

I'm getting frustrated. All of my other fish are doing just fine. I'm only having problems with gouramis and it seems like it is happening just within the last month or two.

Water:
    Amonia Test kit says NH3/NH4 is 0ppm
    Test strip says:
    Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, pH 6.5-7.0, Carbonate hardness 60, General hardness 100.

Feeding them tropical flake, baby shrimp (sun dried), and freeze dried blood worms for treats.

I do a 30% water change every 4-5 days or so.

Filtration is a Fluval 70 and an Aquaclear 30. I change the Aquaclear filter every 30 days and the Fluval every 60 days.

I know gouramis are known to be "hardy" but also known to be over bred. All of my other fish (minus the mollies - one gave birth and died, the other just went completely missing...still haven't found her after 3 months) are doing just fine. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Shannon

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Hi and welcome to Fishlore :)

A few questions to help us help you: Did you quarantine the new fish before adding them to your tank? (and on a slightly unrelated topic, are your schooling fish in schools? because if not, that's something you're going to want to look into) Quarantine is important because you never know what you're introducing to the tank when you add new fish, and QT helps reduce the risks.

Aside from the gouramis bloating and pineconing, did you notice any other symptoms? Any change of color, spinal curving, or changes in appetite?

3. OP
    OP
    j

josaar New Member Member

Thanks for your reply Junebug! Well I have been thinking of setting up the old 29 gallon as a staging/breeding tank. So the short answer is no, I only acclimated them in the bag for 20-30 minutes before setting them lose. I've done this with all of the new fish since moving over to the 55. I did notice the color of the flame red (over many months) began to lighten. From what I have read though this happens when the get older. The blue one that I have left is in quarantine now as it is sitting on the bottom of the quarantine tank (the small one that sits off of the side of the main tank). It's head looks a little rough (not smooth like it did a few days ago) but it doesn't seem bloated.

The other thing is I get all of my fish from either Petsmart or Petco. Haven't had ANY issues with any fish thus far until my trusty ol' dwarf blue gourami bloated and pineconed. Since then, only the gouramis have been an issue.I'm wondering if the live plants are causing issue since this happened probably 3-4 weeks after I put a couple of plants in. I did notice once I did that it seemed like the blue gourami was upset at me for replacing one of his "spots" with a live plant. I thought he was just peeved at me for doing so but I guess he was starting to get sick then. Speaking of which the plants aren't doing that great. They get no direct sunlight and the LED lights I have over the tank probably aren't a sufficient source of light for them. Looking on Petco's web site it looks like the plants I bought were Anubias lanceolata. Either that or the amazon sword.

~shannon

4. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Can you get a picture of the gourami you have in QT? If his head is rough, it's possible he has iridovirus which would explain why only the gouramis are getting sick... because they are apparently the only fish that get that disease.

Anubias and amazon swords don't really look alike... an anubias plant will have a thick rhizome at the bottom which you want to have above the substrate. If you have anubias, it's fine in your light, but rhizome location could be causing some issues with it if the rhizome is buried in the substrate. Regardless, I doubt plants are causing these issues with the gouramis.

5. Jamie Boshier

Jamie Boshier Valued Member Member

I had two blue gourami's which died. I've read a lot about them and there's lots about them being a hardy fish but they really aren't.
    They are so vulnerable to almost everything!
    Water conditions need to be tip top and stress of new fish introduced could quite easily bring something on.
    Sorry to hear :( but yes they are over bred and I heard a statistic that 15% carry infections in most cases. How much of that you want to believe is your choice and I'm not believing it by any means however there's no smoke without fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    j

josaar New Member Member

Well my dwarf blue gourami died. It actually looked like it had some discoloration around the abdomen...a faint yellow tint. I ended up taking it back to the LFS and I got a credit towards a new fish. I grabbed an Opaline Gourami. We'll see how she does. They also tested my water in the event that my test strips are no good. Spot on. So I am inclined to think bad breeding and/or dropsy/iridovirus. So far the Opaline is shy but this morning seems to be a bit more adventurous.

Thanks to all for the replies.

~shannon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice