gouramis are dying with bacterial infections, pleas hellp

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by jjc09, Mar 27, 2010.

1. jjc09New MemberMember

their fins are veryyy veryy red even so the base of their pectoral fins has even turned white like some colony is forming there or something. They are very lethargic and eat very little. Its been a week now since I began treatment with ick, keeping the water temperature around 30˚c, doing daily 50% water changes with gravel scoop and up till thursday giving ick clear medication until they told me its best to treat it medless just keeping the temperature up. That same high temperature is causing bacteria in the water to thrive, BUT im treating ick so water temperature drop is not an option. What can I do to save my dying gouramis, theyve been like this over 5 days.

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Do you have new pictures? What are your water parameter readings?
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    j

jjc09New MemberMember

i dont have a water reading kit unfortunately, but i suspect ammonia levels should be pretty high because the ick medicine probably killed the beneficial bacteria. If you want pics theres a previosu thread right around here thats called hemorragic scepticemia that was taken a couple of days ago but it has worstened since.

4. Butterfly

I saw that one:) I was hoping for an updated picture. If there's ammonia in the water it's toxic for your fish, getting rid of that will do more than adding more meds. Ammonia will kill them with/without meds.
    wish you were able to test your water.
    How does the ICH look this morning?
    Carol

5. OP
    OP
    j

jjc09New MemberMember

the ich has been gone ever since like the second or third day i have so no traces whatsoever, all i am doing is keeping the treatment to really eliminate it 100%. Anyways I'm not feeding, maybe just once tonight because the gouramis began nipping one another perhaps because of hunger but I just gave them a itty bit of food, enough to eat it for les than 10 secs. Anyways I'm doing 50% water changes daily so that aught to keep the levels low I guess however I think this is bacterial because they have their fins clamped to their body.

6. Butterfly

I forget... when did you start treating for ICH?
    Carol

7. OP
    OP
    j

jjc09New MemberMember

today would be day 7, anyways the gouramis never showed signs of ich, not one spot, only the swordtails, however ever since i began treatment they have become very ill with their fins red, so i ceased medications until the 5th treatment after that all I am doing is 50% water changes

8. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

I would also start daily water changes with some prime or amquel+ to keep them safe from ammonia/nitrites.....do this for a few weeks to get the cycle back on track....I hope things look up!! I wouldnt medicate anymore either.......good luck!!!!

9. konstargirl

konstargirlWell Known MemberMember

Hi! Alot of us reconmend API freshwater Master kit. The test strips are easier, but not good as they will give you an inaccurate reading.

Hope things go well with you and the fish. Seems like they are getting a good recovery.

10. OP
    OP
    j

jjc09New MemberMember

the ick is yesterdays news and all fish seem totally healthy, even the swordtail fry or the pleco. its just the gouramis that are lethaly ill. In the moment I cant afford freshwater testing kits b/c im actually a teenager i dont work I have an allowance all of which has been depleted by the whole tank setup thing and for now theyre aint no money.

11. Butterfly

we understand the deficit of cash. Some of us "oldsters" have the same problem :) Just when you can you need a testing kit to keep a better handle on your fish and tank. keep up the water changes and keep us updated please. If you have prime be sure to use it to dechlorinate the water. If not put it on your list :)
    carol

12. leeishomValued MemberMember

if conventional proceedures are not showing results and if you are willing; take your fishes to the vet available to care for them.
    ive been in your situation were water changes and OTC meds did not work for the fish.

13. OP
    OP
    j

jjc09New MemberMember

since i see no more sings of ich, can i lower the temperature again? I think that the high temperatures just stress the fish and with no ich, I dont see the point

14. Butterfly

The reason it's recommended to leave the temp up for 14 days is that's how long it takes ICH to go through it's life stages and die. this makes sure it's all gone.
    Gouramis are good in warmer temps so it should not b stressing him.
    Carol

15. OP
    OP
    j

jjc09New MemberMember

Update: today I woke up and so far 2 of the gouramis seem almost healed, with their redness drastically improved. Anyways, one of them seems to be worst than before. Oh, also the female swordtail had her pups :). I found them hangin out around the fake plants, and imediately put them in the fry net. There are like some 4 or 5 white ones and 2 black ones (???). Anyways also I thought it was time to release the other swordtail fry that was previously in the net because anyways its big enaugh and it would eat the small ones. The male swordtail also seems a bit odd. He spends alot of time swiming crazy going nuts and going front/back/front/back like going backwads. Oh also I noticed that my pleco was very constipated with the tumy very dilated. I also saw a little bit of goldish tint in its tummy. Are they like that or it means theres a velvet outbreak?

16. OP
    OP
    j

jjc09New MemberMember

However, the two gouramis are still nowhere near cured, they just dont seem so upset and dont have their fins clamped. The other one seems to be taking the toll of the 3 cause it looks really really stressed and its fins are disintegrating. I think the female swordtail still has fry yet to deliver because shes still very big and has a dark spot in her abdomen. Also I didnt notice before but the swordtails all seem to be suffering from the vascularity, just that they are very orangish and it wasnt noticeable, however they are behaving normally and ony the male does this weird 'dance' where he swims backward very fast and then shoots himself forward and vice versa. Anyways howcome of the fry born 2 were black if both parents are orange ???

17. OP
    OP
    j

jjc09New MemberMember

dying gourami

My 3 gouramis are very ill, but one of them seems terminally ill. Its eyes are very cloudy, its got a very developed velvet, its fins are very deep red and rotting, and the 2 front whiskers wich are also very vascular are torring apart. It looks horrible. I am currently treating the tank the folowing way: lights out, temperature around 28-29-30 celcius, daily water change with ick clear (malachite green and acriflavine). None of the fish are really well but this one has the worst condition.

18. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

ive combined your posts jjc09 so everyone can see the information advised so far.....were you able to get a test kit? medicating isnt always necessary and most of the symptoms sound like an uncycled tank :(

19. OP
    OP
    j

jjc09New MemberMember

thanks. I am about to get the test kit but anyways changing water changes alone wont do anything so in the meantime I want to get some med. Copper sulfate?

20. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Warmer water makes bacterial infections thrive. The reason your fish are ill is due to stress, which leads to immune system is weakend & makes them susceptible to disease. Toxins present can do that such as ammonia & nitrIte. NitrAte below 20 is safe. Get that test kit so you know what is going on. Your best bet is to slowly lower the temp back to the normal range or a little lower and then perform a 50% water change with a good gravel vac using Prime or Amquel Plus as a water conditioner for 24 hrs until next water change. Add enough water conditoner to treat the whole tank. Or perform a 50% water change then lower the temp slowly. Continuing to add meds will only make things worse as meds will not do anything for the toxins. Your fish will continue to be stressed & disease may get worse and lead to death. Daily water changes is your best bet right now to keep the water clean and toxins down. Again, testing will let you know what is going on. Gourmais don't do well in an uncycled tank.

I really hope they will make it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice