Gourami

1. AnthonyHutchison Member Member

I got a new gourami today and I'm giving my angel away to Cowfish928 and tips on keeping it and what he can eat

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of gourami and what size tank? Do you have any other gouramis in the tank now?

3. AnthonyHutchison Member Member

Dwarf powder blue and in a 20 tall and only one gourami

4. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Make sure to leave room at the top of the tank unfilled so he can go up for air. Also I would leave him by himself for awhile in a "qt" status just to make sure no iridovirus pops up.

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't wait for the iridovirus to pop up, though I always recommend QTing. That can take weeks to months to show up. Thankfully, other fish won't be in danger of catching it, as it seems to affect most only DGs, and only rarely other gouramis.

A good diet would be a high quality flake or pellet with frozen foods offered a few times a week. Mine love brine shrimp and bloodworms, and will eat mysis shrimp.

6. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Oh wow I didnt realize it took so long to show! Thanks for the correction!

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Algae / vegs (blanched lettuce / spinach) need to be in their diet.

8. AtomicMudkip Member Member

I've heard that iridovirus can be passed onto rams? Is this true?
    ~Mudkipz

9. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Thing is there are hundreds / thousands of Iridovirus. Different species have or are under suspecion having "their own" Iridovirus (Angels, Rams, aso).
    The one in DG's is a nasty one that probably is caused by pressure- and linebreeding in Asia (especially in the colormorphs). I think the Rams are "the next" that are bred kind in same way. So I'd say NO to the chance them getting it from DG's but having Iridovirus (less issues) probably YES.