Gourami With Injury?

ChaseAce

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of my female gouramis has got a weird spot on top of her. A few days ago the scales turned nearly black and then today it looks like the scales fell off. Im just looking for some confirmation that this is indeed an injury from what I would assume is swimming into something instead of something that I should be treating her for. Thanks for any help!
1524097642201.jpeg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What is your ammonia at? Black scales can be ammonia burns. In my experience (which is still limited), injuries generally don't turn the scales colors, they get scraped off and can grow back a bit paler than before, but don't turn black. To me, this indicates something other than an injury.
Does it resemble HITH at all?
And I'm not sure just treating with a salt bath right off the bat is the best idea, as it can be unnecessary stress to an already stressed fish.

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What is your ammonia at? Black scales can be ammonia burns. In my experience (which is still limited), injuries generally don't turn the scales colors, they get scraped off and can grow back a bit paler than before, but don't turn black. To me, this indicates something other than an injury.
Does it resemble HITH at all?
And I'm not sure just treating with a salt bath right off the bat is the best idea, as it can be unnecessary stress to an already stressed fish.
your right, i forgot about the affects about ammonia burns until you reminded me, and yep, don't try a salt bath right away

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My gourami gets spooked quite often an injures himself. I just make sure to do plenty of large water changes and he heals up fast. This one was piticularly bad, but it healed up in a week and a half.
2018-02-24-16-14-35-1.jpg

ChaseAce

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I tested the ammonia and it's at zero. I don't think it's HITH? It just looks like the scales are slightly raised and darkened around the exposed flesh. Not so much a hole

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom