Gourami With Injury?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ChaseAce, Apr 18, 2018.

1. ChaseAce

ChaseAce Valued Member Member

One of my female gouramis has got a weird spot on top of her. A few days ago the scales turned nearly black and then today it looks like the scales fell off. Im just looking for some confirmation that this is indeed an injury from what I would assume is swimming into something instead of something that I should be treating her for. Thanks for any help! 1524097642201.jpeg

2. trash.binh91

trash.binh91 Valued Member Member

maybe you could do a salt bath?

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

What is your ammonia at? Black scales can be ammonia burns. In my experience (which is still limited), injuries generally don't turn the scales colors, they get scraped off and can grow back a bit paler than before, but don't turn black. To me, this indicates something other than an injury.
    Does it resemble HITH at all?
    And I'm not sure just treating with a salt bath right off the bat is the best idea, as it can be unnecessary stress to an already stressed fish.

4. trash.binh91

your right, i forgot about the affects about ammonia burns until you reminded me, and yep, don't try a salt bath right away

5. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

My gourami gets spooked quite often an injures himself. I just make sure to do plenty of large water changes and he heals up fast. This one was piticularly bad, but it healed up in a week and a half. 2018-02-24-16-14-35-1.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    ChaseAce

ChaseAce Valued Member Member

I tested the ammonia and it's at zero. I don't think it's HITH? It just looks like the scales are slightly raised and darkened around the exposed flesh. Not so much a hole

7. trash.binh91

huh, interesting

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice