Help Gourami with ICH...I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghardin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I have this dwarf gourami, Ted, and he's been doing great as the center piece fish in my community tank. I first saw one or two white spots on him a week or two ago and because I have had run-ins with ICH before, I treated the entire tank as soon as I saw it. The other fish in the tank looked fine after the treatment, but Ted showed no change. I moved him to a 10 gallon QT where I could help him without bothering the others. I then repeated the treatment, AND HE STILL HAS WHITE SPOTS. So what I'm asking is, is there something else that could cause white spots on a DG or is it that the spots are normal? THANKS TO ALL!

grfresconero

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have blue gourami, that had fry.But without pics.. cant say much.

Faber1790

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What ich treatment are you using? I recently had it and the only thing that got rid of it was heat.

ILikeFishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i once had an outburst of ich in my tank. And from what i remember when doing research is that the life cycle of ich starts out as a free swimming spore, it will be free swimming until it finds a host (the fish) to attach to. The fish's immune reaction to the spore would be covering it (something like that) which is why you can see the white spots. But this actually makes the spore invulnerable to treatment. But after awhile the spore will detach itself from the fish and become free swimming again to find a host. The only way you can eliminate them is when they are in their free swimming stage, which would be by using medication or performing water changes. Personally i prefer water changes.
So since you can only remove them/kill them when they are in a free swimming stage. the only thing you could possibly do is to speed up its life cycle, by increasing the water temperature.
Now my water tempt is usually pretty high because of the climate in my country. but i would recommend increasing the water temp to about 27-29*C to speed up its life cycle.
Then perform daily water changes, but don't stop when you dont see any spots because there could still be some spores free swimming in your tank. Give it a few weeks before you return your gourami to your main tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 47 66.2%

Top Bottom