Gourami w/ inverts

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by Dante123, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Dante123New MemberMember

Recently bought a three spot, about 2.5" right now. How well to these guys fair with inverts? Currently have one tiny RCS, and probably will move her to another tank just for RCS. But I would like an invert cleaning crew for my 20g that currently houses the gourami. Was think something like Amano, Crayfish, or any shrimp that doesn't breed like crazy, (clams?)I also have a handful of MTS to keep my substrate aerated.

2. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

They love 'em, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Three-spot Gouramis are very effective hunters. It will get the cray when it molts.

3. junebugFishlore LegendMember

You want an invert with a labyrinth fish, get a snail. Everything else is just an expensive treat. Sometimes the snails are too... but not as often ;)

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed with the above posts. I also wouldn't suggest clams, they are "hard" to feed and often die in tanks. They can also act as an intermediate host for some uncommon (in the hobby) parasites.

5. Marinedude17422New MemberMember

I too was thinking clams, but I've read they're a pain to keep and bury themselves immediately anyways. I have a gold gourami in my tank, slightly larger than yours and he has never bothered my snails or my bamboo shrimp, so my vote would be that if you want a shrimp, get a bamboo shrimp (they may also be named flower shrimp). Full-grown Amano shrimp would probably also be okay, but once your 3-spot grows up he may turn on them simply because I haven't seen Amano shrimp larger than 2 inches and your 3-spot will get 5-6. Definitely no red cherries or ghosts in there unless it's very HEAVILY planted, even then the gourami may eat them

Also, in my experience gouramis have a wide range of personalities. If you have an aggressive one he may go after snails or even large shrimp or crayfish when they molt. But you could try a bamboo/flower shrimp or even a dwarf crayfish(assuming there's no other small fish/shrimp/snails in the tank); I think both (and surely any sizable snails) would be fine with your gourami :;rocker

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  6. BettasAndAnOscarValued MemberMember

My gourami's pretty chill. He doesn't bother inverts, the betta, or anything, for that matter. I guess I'm just lucky :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice