gourami troubles

shmee

Reaction score
i recently bought a powder blue dwarf gourami and a honey blood red gourami. i got the blue one first and he was being bullied by my rosey barb. that soon stopped but then the gourami staed in the back corner, hardly ever commin out. he seemed rele shy and nice. then i added the red one and the blue one chased him and nipped at him everytime he tried to go to the back. now they stay away from eachother in seprate corners in the back. will they ever get along, and will they ever come out of the back more?

smillermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
How big is your tank? I hate to tell you this, but I think removing a gourami would be your best bet. I have had the same thing happen twice. Most sites will say they are compatible with eachother but unless you have a larger tank and plenty of hiding spots, they will do this to each other. They should be in larger groups with a ratio of male/females. They have their own personalities and it sounds like it is a dominance issue right now. Take own back to the fish store and I think you will be happier. Mine beat each other up so bad, my red flame ended up dying.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My experience with gouramis is that they don't like other gouramis in the same tank with them. One is always dominant and terrorizes the other one sometimes to death. Unless you have a large tank, your best bet is to take one back to the store. Sorry.

ewiz06

Reaction score
The other thing that you will want to consider is the size of your gouramis. If they are similar in size, then this will lessen the problems you will have with the fish fighting each other. I've had powder blue and gold gouramis living peacefully with one another for almost 2 years without any problems. They were comparable in size when added to the tank (46 gal).

Just my 2 cent ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom