gourami question

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael68

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a dwarf gourami with great color and acting normal except his stomach is fatter and his breathing looks more frequent.My fish are fed once daily and the other dwarf gourami doesnt seem as fat and is breathing less frequent,what can be the matter.I know my tank is overstocked but i am working on that i do a 25% water change twice a week.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Overstocking can cause stress, which can manifest into other things.
Any way you can put him in Q tank and fast him, in case he's constipated?

OP
M

michael68

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you might be right lucy because he is not hiding or acting abnormal .what can i give him without fasting and whithout putting him in quarintine.Maybe i can pour some starbucks coffee in the tank(just kidding)Any help besides quarintine would be appreciated.Lucy it looks like you are into 80s heavy metal judging by your profile.Thats what i grew up on rock on!

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It won't hurt any of the fish to fast. After a day of fasting, the next day feed them teeny bits of thawed frozen shelled pea. Most fish just love them! Freeze dried daphnia works the same way. It can be found in the reptile section.
lol @ the coffee.

I'm sure some one has pointed out the incompatibility of your fish. Don't under estimate the effects stress can have on your fish.
When fish are stressed their bodies try to fight stress factors. They use up energy making it more difficult for them to fight off illness. The energy they use can lead to exhaustion until they can't fight any more.

Good luck, I hope your DG feels better soon.

OP
M

michael68

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unless they fight when lights are out there is no noticable hostility in the tank between the two gouramis,and yes people have pointed that out.By the way love your profile youtube segment.I grew up on metallica,way back when dave mustaine was in the band,sorry i got off the fish subject but i just had to mention it.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lol, glad you like it
I'm glad to hear that they aren't fighting, but again, they don't have to be fighting for one to feel stressed by the other.

Give the peas or daphnia a try. I always feel like a meany when I fast my fish. At lights out, I can't bear to look at they're begging. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 59 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.8%

Top Bottom