Gourami question Question

1. Dez The Betta Member Member

Well I was planing on in a couple weeks to get a Dwarf Gourami and a Honey Gourami, but can I keep them together at my LFS it said the Honey Gouramis were aggressive and the Dwarfs were community. So can I keep them together? Thanks. :;hi1

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You're LFSs got them mixed up! :eek:

Honeys are nice, and DGs can be little terrors if theres not a perfect "balance" in the tank. I wouldn't keep Honeys with anything that were bigger than they were.

3. Dez The Betta Member Member

Oh okay thanks. So how are DG little terrors?

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Think of them like Bettas, I suppose. Some times, everything works out well, other times, you change one little thing in the tank, and they flip out and go psycho. Quite strange lol

Usually, it mostly has something to with the size of the tank, and the temperaments of other fish.

5. Dez The Betta Member Member

Well the tank is 46 gallons and it's gonna have peaceful fish. Would they get territorial in a 46 gallon? How many can I keep at most in a 46 gallon although i'll most likely just stick with the HG and the DG if there good together?

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd do the dg and small schooling fish, or a few honeys and small schooling fish. That's a good sized tank, you have a lot of possibilities :)

7. Dez The Betta Member Member

Thank you so do the DG nip or chase?

8. Kent799 Initiate Member

I have Dwarf Gouramis. They can be a little aggressive because they are territorial. If you see them being aggressive just move around your decor in the tank and it will make the tank neutral again. I've kept my Dwarf Gouramis in my Barb tank and they did just fine. Right now they are in a tank with 4 small Angelfish. The Dwarf Gouramis leave my Angelfish alone but I noticed yesterday when I fed them that one is being more aggressive towards the other so I'll be changing the decor around tonight.

9. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

That's plenty of room for a DG. Most gouramis only get territorial with their own kind or if the tank is too small and they feel like the other fish are intuders. Even the little innocent male honeys can get territorial if they're housed in cramped spaces with eachother, although they usually make really good tank mates for other peaceful community fish.

10. fishy friend2 Member Member

Dwarf gouramis aren't typically territorial against any smaller schooling fish, they don't like being placed with brightly colored, long fined, large , labyrinth fish, that are aggresive though. So, stay away from any fish that have those characteristics. I do have a little something to say about them from a source named This old spouse on another forum I frequent,

11. Dez The Betta Member Member

Ya I'm gonna get my tank all good before I add them and they wont be the firsts. And thanks for all the info!

12. fishy friend2 Member Member

So what is your planned stocking for this tank, may I recommend something along the lines of

1 dwarf gourami
    20 Pygmy corydoras
    15 boraras brigittae
    10 cardinal tetras