Gourami proof tankmates

Mii

Been looking into a 3 spot/blue/gold/opaline gourami but I've heard they can be kinda hit or miss with aggression, so am looking for something it is very unlikely to hurt, was thinking maybe black skirt tetras because they are indestructible, and bristlenose pleco because it will live on the bottom of the tank. What do you think would be compatible in a 29 gallon?

FinalFins

I think I've said this already but 3 spot gouramis are too big for a 29.

Mii

FinalFins said:
I think I've said this already but 3 spot gouramis are too big for a 29.
What about a 30? Like a 29 but longer.

FinalFins

Mii

Mii

Also i didn't post this thread to argue about tank size i posted it to ask what a 3 spot would and wouldn't kill.

FinalFins

Single one thats fine but a group you need longer. Also, I believe that when housed singly they can get feisty.

Mii said:
Also i didn't post this thread to argue about tank size i posted it to ask what a 3 spot would and wouldn't kill.
I also intended to tell you what a three spot would/would not kill but I want to make sure you are fully aware that a three spot is too large for a common 29. Smaller space= more aggression.

jinjerJOSH22

You’ll want a tank at least 100cm but they like to use vertical space.

Tank mates can be hit or miss especially in a smaller tank.
I originally had my male in a 28 with Black Phantom Tetra, Ember Tetra, Peppered Corydoras and a Bolivian Ram.
He occasionally attacked the Cories and as he matured he attacked the Ram. It became very clear the tank wasn’t big enough. He became quite shy in there too.

I moved him to a 50 with Blue Acara and he killed one, almost two but I moved him back. I eventually tried again after I got a few more Acara and it worked out for months. However he was still really shy around me, I couldn’t go near the tank otherwise he’d hide.

I eventually set up my 60 with the idea of keeping a group of Three Spots, I wasn’t going to add him given his aggression but did anyway. Ever since he has become much more personable, he’s no longer that shy fish that hides all the time.

Utar

I think this is the problem with most larger center piece fish, they tend to be semi-aggressive to very aggressive.

Top Bottom