Gourami popeye- injury or disease?

redmare

I just noticed one of my honey gouramis in my 30 gallon community has one bulging eye

2DAA73EB-B9F3-4B53-BC8A-0FC991325F53.jpeg
15B85F9E-BEE7-445E-AA26-5F05883643AB.jpeg

The other eye is fine, no other symptoms, normal behaviour, no signs of popeye or anything else on the other fish. I’m thinking it might be a battle wound (he and the other male honey squabble sometimes, but I’ve never seen an injury from it) or a scrape or something, since it’s just the one eye, but I want to verify.

general info: 30 gallons, 75 degrees, 5 panda cories 8 neon tetras 8 pristella tetras 1 bn pleco 3 honey gouramis. Been set up for about a year, very stable tank, heavily planted, my least problematic tank. 0/0/~20.

I’m in Canada and as such have no access to most meds- no antibiotics. My quarantine is being used to deworm some livebearers right now but I can set something else up if need be. I’m thinking good clean water and time will probably heal it up if it is a wound of sorts?

Ouse

I think you’ve answered your own question here. :D

In most cases, a single bulging eye is the result of an injury. The bacteria causing the symptom popeye to show is only infecting this fish. Remember that popeye is a symptom of an ailment, not an ailment itself.

Maintaining pristine water and stress free conditions should help the fish pull through. Higher temperatures allow this harmful bacteria to really take hold, so 75°F is a good temperature to maintain. It’s when the temperature gets to around 82°F that bacteria begins to really benefit from the temp.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AlexW9102
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
SM1199
Replies
Views