gourami pairs

Discussion in 'Blue Gourami' started by wierdoinabowl3498, Jan 11, 2013.

1. wierdoinabowl3498Valued MemberMember

so i read an article on the internet the other day and it said that blues do better in pairs. is that true? if it is i know where to get a male blue for my female. it just might cheer her up because she has been acting odd lately and hiding in her flower pot.

2. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Not true. A lot of half wits on the internet are convinced that all gourami need to be in pairs, despite what has been seen otherwise. Blues(3spot gourami) are a rather aggressive species. They don't like other gourami, betta or each other and need tanks of at least 30gals for 1. I wouldn't do a group in anything less then 55gals and it could still easily end up with a bunch of dead fish.

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I agree. I would not try a pair in less than a 55.

4. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

I'd also like to add, the only time you will see pair behaviour(swimming together) with 3spots is when they are in a breeding mood. Outside of that they tend to not care about gender and pretty much set up territory. Even breeding can get a little messy.

5. husky194Valued MemberMember

I agree with all of the above -

I started out with 2 Blue's and ended up rehoming one. Then I added 2 Pink Kisser Gourami and that also went very badly! I rehomed the most aggressive one and then my other one died due to internal injuries received before I could rehome the other.

My 55 gallon remains with one Blue which I believe is a male and he does just fine all by himself. He hid like you say yours is doing for a pretty long time - my Parrot fish took turns letting him know they were boss but now he comes out and swims along with them. There is still an occasional chase but it's not for long as he knows his place in the tank. I've also noticed he swims the whole tank in the evening verses the day so you may not be seeing this when asleep.

So don't EVER mix Gourami's - It may work for some but for me it was nothing but stress and I felt so bad when injuries occurred due to my lack of research before adding.

6. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Kissers are one of the largest species of Gourami I should add, they FAR outgrow a lot of tanks, Most online profiles under estimate them, they can get around 8-12" full grown.

7. kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

I read somewhere that gouramis are anabantids, just like bettas. That kind of sums up any probability of them getting along.

8. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yes, they are anabantoids. But, like bettas, some species get along better than others.

9. kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

Well, bettas are certainly the most extreme example of family feuding. :) But I thought it was interesting to share nonetheless, because it explains some of the aggressiveness when people keep pairs of gouramis and are surprised they don't always get along.

10. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Nonono. Bettas is a Genus, not a species. The fish you are thinking of is Domestic Betta Splenden(the betta in the cup at the store) there are hundreds of betta species, most of them are super calm and peaceful fish. Domestic Bettas are the single most aggressive species of Anabantoids. They do not represent

All Anabantoids share some features, first off, as their name suggests they all have a labyrinth organ and can breath air. The Group is mostly made of Gourami, Betta and a few fish in between. All males are territorial in some respect and multiple males will work out a hierarchy if they don't kill each other. Even peaceful little honey gourami will fight for territory(though they don't normally do massive damage.)

I would say that Anabantoids are one of the more developed species imo, a bit smarter then a lot of the others(though not the smartest and still pretty dumb by mammal standards). I would not however define them with aggression, just isn't a defining factor for them. Imo, Gourami are more aggressive then wild betta, Domestic Splendens were bred to be aggressive, it took years to get them this way. 3spots, kissing, DG are all naturally aggressive fish.

11. wierdoinabowl3498Valued MemberMember

all of that is very good to know. i'm glad i did my research. i guess it might've saved my gourami.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice