Gourami Needs Help After A Fight

Anichka

Reaction score
Hi all,

My bf's gourami got in a fight with an angel, and now Gourami's body is covered in sores, which are covered with fungus. Is it safe to do a salt water dip/bath if there are open wounds on the body? And if so, what proportion would you advise and for how long?

Thanks!

Anichka

Reaction score
The angel is not there anymore. And no, no other tank big enough for his size.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like it may very well be hemorrhagic septicemia. I highly recommend quarantining the fish since this is contaigouse. While their is no treatment for this viral disease, i read some where once that some people had success using fungal medications, but i'm not too sure on the viability of that source.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm assuming that these sores are from the physical fight, as you implied in your first post? If so, I do not think it's contagious viral hemorrhagic septicemia.

What's in his with him now? I would try to get him a QT tank (a 10 gal is around $11 at Petco) so you can isolate him and do daily water changes, possibly treating with an antibiotic if his sores don't get better with daily water changes. I recommend QTing so the other fish in the tank don't start picking on him (injured or sick fish will often be picked on).

Anichka

Reaction score
Yes, correct. The wounds are from the physical fight. There are 5 corrys with him and 2 bichers who mind their own business.

Will daily water changes help with fungus too? I'm afraid catching him with a net might hurt his open sores touching it And I take it, no salt bath then?

Thanks.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, daily water changes would help, but I'd still really try to move him to a QT tank so he can be alone. Netting him will be fine.

The fungus is likely secondary to a bacterial infection. If you can get the bacterial infection in check, the fungal infection should resolve itself.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are 2 types of fungi spores found in almost all fish tanks. The only begin infection on sick or injured fish and can become fatal. API has a treatment called Pimafix for just fungus. But since you fish has open wounds, their product Melafix takes care of both the fungus and the bacteria. Although it treats bad bacteria infection, it will not harm beneficial bacteria in the biological filtration system.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There are more than two types of fungus, and Melafix and Pimafix are basically useless (they're diluted herbal remedies). Water changes are just as good. Just a warning so you don't waste your money expecting a miracle cure

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The 2 types of fungi found most commonly in almost every aquarium are Saprolegnia and Achla which you can look up on Google if you like. The usual treatments for these are medications; Phenoxyethanol and Gention Violet. Once the spores of the fungi take hold of a host and begin to grow, they are then feeding and spreading on the fish, you can do water changes until **** freezes over and the fish will still die unless the growing fungi are killed. The treatments Phenoxyethanol and Gention Violet may be found under other brand names that can be found online.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Most common for infections, maybe, but not the only I just wanted to clarify that.

The reason I recommend water changes is because fish often only come down with fungal infections if they get a bacterial infection and/or if they're immunocompromised (from stress, etc.). Poor water quality is often a stressor, so improving water quality can often help fish fight the infection on their own. For serious issues, you may need to treat the fungus itself, yes. But if a bacterial infection is the primary infection, then treating the secondary infection (fungal) without addressing the primary infection won't do much for the fish in the long run.

Anichka

Reaction score
Thank you, guys!

I'm keeping him/her in a separate bucket with Melafix and changing water every day. The fungus seems to be clearing up. He/she seems to be chill and not stressed at all. Although doesn't eat not flakes not pellets. I know they don't have to necessarily eat every day, but still. How long can he/she go without food?

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you, guys!

I'm keeping him/her in a separate bucket with Melafix and changing water every day. The fungus seems to be clearing up. He/she seems to be chill and not stressed at all. Although doesn't eat not flakes not pellets. I know they don't have to necessarily eat every day, but still. How long can he/she go without food?
I had to treat my entire aquarium 55 gallons because of paracites...gill flukes and hole in the head disease. I used just PraziPro. It said to use one tsp per 20 gallons. I very slightly overdosed by a drop or so and my fish didn't eat for the whole 5 day period, as you said about your fish, they all just chilled. The just kind of hovered in the water and didn't swim much except when the betta or cory cats went to the surface for a bubble of air. Towards the end of the 5th day, I did a 50 percent water change. Early on the 6th day, I traveled 30 miles on 2 busses each way to get them live brine shrimp at the only place I knew I could get them. When I rinced 1 of the bags of brine shrimp and put them in the water, the fish went nuts on a feeding frenzy. After that, their appetites returned to normal eating flakes.

Anichka

Reaction score
Oh wow, 30 miles 2 buses. Good for them! Glad they are okay now. Hopefully they didn't learn to "protest" flakes to get more shrimp

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They can go a few weeks without food. Try some frozen food.

Is there any decor in the bucket? Being in something like that could be stressful, especially without decor, so that may explain why he's not eating.

By the way, Melafix isn't that useful, so I wouldn't buy it again in the future. It's a diluted herbal supplement that usually won't do anything more than water changes would do. I'm glad he seems to be doing better though!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom