Gourami Laying On Side

HannahsAquariumWorld

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
we noticed two days ago that our gourami was staying at the top mainly and not eating. Then the next day he was floating on the bottom on this side. Died the following day. I didn’t notice anything on him until after I inspected him after he died. I noticed a brown spot on his side and one small black spot on top of head. Any ideas what may have caused him to die?

Ammonia is 0 Nitrates is below 20 ppm. PH levels are 7.0. Water temp is kept between 76-78F

Fish Community : 3 golden rams, one angelfish, 4 dwarf gourami, 2 tiger barbs, 2 red fin tetra, 2 black skirt tetra, one pleco. 60 gallon tank. Been established for 6 months.

Attachments

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, sorry for the gourami.

It's been tough for DG's lately, all the Iridovirus going around, so they've been a bit iffy.
I personally think you had a gourami with DGIV, it's not curable in most cases.

Nothing I see that you've done wrong, everything looks to be in good shape.
What species of pleco?

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I stopped buying DG for this very reason.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I picked one up a month or so ago. If this one has a very short life like the ones over the last several years it will be the last one I buy.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Same mine just passed away a week ago and was just lying on the ground not eating! I'm done with DGs now, crazy how this has spread all over!

HannahsAquariumWorld

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fanatic said:
Hi, sorry for the gourami.

It's been tough for DG's lately, all the Iridovirus going around, so they've been a bit iffy.
I personally think you had a gourami with DGIV, it's not curable in most cases.

Nothing I see that you've done wrong, everything looks to be in good shape.
What species of pleco?
Hypostomus. We’ve had him for a year. Him and the angelfish have been there the longest.

HannahsAquariumWorld

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I’ve been reading a lot of people having issues with their gourami. I’ve had them before and this is the first one I’ve had an issue with. Hopefully the rest of mine will last. I enjoy having some color in my tank! And they go well with my angelfish who the tank is basically built around lol

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hannahgale30 said:
Hypostomus. We’ve had him for a year. Him and the angelfish have been there the longest.
He will eventually outgrow your tank, keep that in mind.

Greg F

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keep an eye on the other DG's as they likely all have it. In a stress free environment it may never manifest but as soon as you see the obvious signs it is best to euthanize. They won't get better.

My tank was very similar to yours. All 4 of my DG's died of dgiv. I went with Odessa and gold barbs for color.

Good luck!

HannahsAquariumWorld

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fanatic said:
He will eventually outgrow your tank, keep that in mind.
Yes. He’s already gotten huge! We have a larger tank we will probably more than likely transport him into. They said we could always take him back if he got to big, but I can’t do it lol

HannahsAquariumWorld

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Greg F said:
Keep an eye on the other DG's as they likely all have it. In a stress free environment it may never manifest but as soon as you see the obvious signs it is best to euthanize. They won't get better.

My tank was very similar to yours. All 4 of my DG's died of dgiv. I went with Odessa and gold barbs for color.

Good luck!
I love our golden rams we have! Didn’t think about Odessa, thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom