Gourami Laying On Side

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by HannahsAquariumWorld, Apr 20, 2018.

1. HannahsAquariumWorldNew MemberMember

we noticed two days ago that our gourami was staying at the top mainly and not eating. Then the next day he was floating on the bottom on this side. Died the following day. I didn’t notice anything on him until after I inspected him after he died. I noticed a brown spot on his side and one small black spot on top of head. Any ideas what may have caused him to die?

Ammonia is 0 Nitrates is below 20 ppm. PH levels are 7.0. Water temp is kept between 76-78F

Fish Community : 3 golden rams, one angelfish, 4 dwarf gourami, 2 tiger barbs, 2 red fin tetra, 2 black skirt tetra, one pleco. 60 gallon tank. Been established for 6 months.

Attached Files:

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Hi, sorry for the gourami.

It's been tough for DG's lately, all the Iridovirus going around, so they've been a bit iffy.
    I personally think you had a gourami with DGIV, it's not curable in most cases.

Nothing I see that you've done wrong, everything looks to be in good shape.
    What species of pleco?

3. yukondogWell Known MemberMember

I stopped buying DG for this very reason.

4. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I picked one up a month or so ago. If this one has a very short life like the ones over the last several years it will be the last one I buy.

5. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Same mine just passed away a week ago and was just lying on the ground not eating! I'm done with DGs now, crazy how this has spread all over!

6. HannahsAquariumWorldNew MemberMember

Hypostomus. We’ve had him for a year. Him and the angelfish have been there the longest.

7. HannahsAquariumWorldNew MemberMember

I’ve been reading a lot of people having issues with their gourami. I’ve had them before and this is the first one I’ve had an issue with. Hopefully the rest of mine will last. I enjoy having some color in my tank! And they go well with my angelfish who the tank is basically built around lol

8. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

He will eventually outgrow your tank, keep that in mind.

9. Greg FWell Known MemberMember

Keep an eye on the other DG's as they likely all have it. In a stress free environment it may never manifest but as soon as you see the obvious signs it is best to euthanize. They won't get better.

My tank was very similar to yours. All 4 of my DG's died of dgiv. I went with Odessa and gold barbs for color.

Good luck!

10. HannahsAquariumWorldNew MemberMember

Yes. He’s already gotten huge! We have a larger tank we will probably more than likely transport him into. They said we could always take him back if he got to big, but I can’t do it lol

11. HannahsAquariumWorldNew MemberMember

I love our golden rams we have! Didn’t think about Odessa, thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice