Gourami ID Help! Question

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by Wendigoblue, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Wendigoblue

Wendigoblue Well Known Member Member

Hi,

I have a gourami species with the store bought name of Sunset Thick Lip Gourami. I haven't been able to find out what she is, as the flame gourami has a blueish dorsal and the honey gourami has the brownish stripe. She could also be a he and just hasn't colored up yet.

IMG_3892.JPG IMG_3894.jpg

Thanks!

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

A sunset thick lip gourami is a variant of the thick-lipped gourami, so that's what it is. Trichogaster labiosa.

3. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Reasonably certain it is a female, but I agree that it is a labiosa.

4. OP
    OP
    Wendigoblue

Thanks! I wasn't very sure if the pet store decided to give it a "pet store name" or if it was it's actually name. I did think it was a flame gourami that was stressed, thanks again for clearing that up!

5. Anders247

I agree with chromedome, I would say female.

6. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

Awww she's so tiny!!
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436747058.426571.jpg
    That's my adult thick lip

:)

7. OP
    OP
    Wendigoblue

She's actually around 3" in size. Do they get any bigger than four inches? Your's is a very handsome one! I love the orange on them!

I'll try to get another picture tomorrow to show her full colors!

8. Anders247

I've never heard of it, if they do it's rare.

9. thefishdude277

Mine is a male, so you might get fewer orange

10. OP
    OP
    Wendigoblue

IMG_3905.jpg IMG_3906.jpg

She's gotten a little more color since yesterday. She's extremely peaceful to all the other fish with her.

Any specific plants she might like (like how bettas like marimos and anubias)? I have a pretty strong current in the middle of the tank and a few very tiny ripples on the surface, do you think floating plants might be okay with that?

11. Anders247

I know that gouramis like floating plants, like frogbit (if you don't want duckweed).

12. OP
    OP
    Wendigoblue

Thanks! I actually haven't been able to keep duckweed in my aquariums lately, although I haven't tried in this tank. I will look into getting some!

13. Anders247

OK. Well good luck! I haven't had good luck with duckweed either.....

14. thefishdude277

Duckweed grows in water that is calm, and isn't disturbed
    It's good for bettas ;)
    My gourami doesn't have any floating plants, but he does have a large rotala wall tho
    I'd go with some hornwort and let it grow until it reaches the top and it will make an arch, growing all over the surface ;)

15. OP
    OP
    Wendigoblue

I do have hornwort in that aquarium actually it's attached to the sticks. I also have 2 jungle vals in there, with one being over 3 feet long. So the val does go across the surface and around a few times. I can add more hornwort later, as I have lots growing on the window sill.

She seems to stay over on the darker side of the aquarium (the LEDs are really bad, but it gets natural sunlight), is this bad? Thanks!

16. Anders247

It's not bad, she's just being shy.

17. OP
    OP
    Wendigoblue

Any name suggestions? I haven't been able to name her or any of her tank mates, other than one fish. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice