90 Gallon Tank Gourami freaking out knocking its head into glass

Zebrakatten
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 360 liters (95 ish gallons I think?)
How long has the tank been running? A bit over a year
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 22,5
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 5 blue gourami (1 male, 4 female), 1 ancistrus pleco, 4 rummynose tetra, 20 White Cloud Mountain minnow, approx. 15 nerite snails, 5 rabbit snails, many many ramshorn snails, 3 amano shrimp, 15 kuhli loaches.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? every week to every other week
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? Nothing, it is not necessary where I live.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I vacuum the substrate.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? For frequent checks I use strips, if i suspect anything I use liquid tests.
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15ppm
pH: 7,4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 5-6 days a week
How much do you feed your fish? Two pinches of flake food and a piece of pleco pellet
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra currently
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? For a little less than a year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1,5 - 2 weeks ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? The fish suddenly dashes around the tank, hitting its face on the glass walls. it also goes to the surface. It has furthermore just begun swimming in circles as well.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I gave Esha 2000 5 days ago as preventative treatment as it had hurt its head
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Still the same nice colours but the behaviour has changed as I have written above and below.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
One of my smaller female blue gourami began 1,5-2 weeks ago to suddenly dash around the tank and hitting its head. At first it only happened once and then a pause for a few days where it would behave completely normally. It didn’t seem to get hurt the first couple of times either. I figured something has spooked it since my gouramis in general and especially the two slightly smaller females have been somewhat shy since I bought them.
Around five days ago it happened twice and it hurt its head somewhat. I gave it esha 2000 to prevent any fungus etc.
Since then it has gotten worse. It is doing it every day, sometimes twice a day and today it has been doing it multiple times in a row and has begun swimming in circles.
I can’t see any changes on it other than its head-wound, no white spots or areas, no discolouration, no fungus and it eats and poops normally as far as I can see. I haven’t seen any of the other fish whenever it gets these freak-outs and it has happened multiple times while there were no fish close to it so I don’t think it’s another one chasing it around. All its fins are nice and whole as well.

I’m getting quite worried since it started around and hour ago and it hasn’t gone back to normal (it will sit somewhere for a bit and then rush around again shortly after). Can anything be done? Or would it be best to euthanize it before it spreads to the other fish?
At this point I’m also thinking it may be better for it since it’s head is actually hurt now (many missing scales and small red areas where it’s deep) compared to just yesterday where only a few scales were missing. But I would rather not euthanize it if possible.

jinjerJOSH22
Could you post pictures of both the fish(other Gourami also may pose a clue to what is wrong) and the tank? I'm not sure what it is unfortunately but a picture could help me(or more likely someone else) figure it out.
Have you added any fish or decorations to the tank?

I really like the sound of your stocking, I actually want to do something similar. I hope it gets better whatever is wrong.

Zebrakatten
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Could you post pictures of both the fish(other Gourami also may pose a clue to what is wrong) and the tank? I'm not sure what it is unfortunately but a picture could help me(or more likely someone else) figure it out.
Have you added any fish or decorations to the tank?

I really like the sound of your stocking, I actually want to do something similar. I hope it gets better whatever is wrong.
I will try, she is still freaking out, I probably won’t be able to really get of the others, they are hiding from her it seems :(

Nothing whatsoever has been added for 6 months now and I haven’t changed anything :(

the last two pictures are of her. She currently won’t leave the surface so I couldn’t get a better picture (and I apologise for the low quality). The first picture is one of the other gourami and the second is almost the entire tank.
I tried getting another of her but yeah…

Megaanemp
I would suggest doing a big water change of at least 50 %. Even if nitrates are low between water changes other things we can’t test for could be building up that effect water quality. Ive found that although Nitrates are low between water changes my more sensitive fish start acting antsy if I don’t do 50% water changes weekly.

Zebrakatten
Megaanemp said:
I would suggest doing a big water change of at least 50 %. Even if nitrates are low between water changes other things we can’t test for could be building up that effect water quality. Ive found that although Nitrates are low between water changes my more sensitive fish start acting antsy if I don’t do 50% water changes weekly.
I will do that tomorrow if she survives that long. I just did one earlier today (only around 30-40%)

she is now swimming in very small circles while tilted to one side (not the same side all the time)
if she gets much worse I think I’ll euthanize her. I don’t want her to suffer through the night (or die and get eaten by the others) :(

jinjerJOSH22
Zebrakatten said:
I will try, she is still freaking out, I probably won’t be able to really get of the others, they are hiding from her it seems :(

Nothing whatsoever has been added for 6 months now and I haven’t changed anything :(

the last two pictures are of her. She currently won’t leave the surface so I couldn’t get a better picture (and I apologise for the low quality). The first picture is one of the other gourami and the second is almost the entire tank.
I tried getting another of her but yeah…
I'm really not sure, but it doesn't look good. I wish you the best.

Something that stands out to me is how bright the tank is and the lack of surface cover. I think it would be a good idea to get some kind of surface plant or dim the lights a bit.
It's also a good idea to feed some frozen or live food once in a while.

Your tank looks beautiful, and I hope the Gourami pulls through.

Zebrakatten
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I'm really not sure, but it doesn't look good. I wish you the best.

Something that stands out to me is how bright the tank is and the lack of surface cover. I think it would be a good idea to get some kind of surface plant or dim the lights a bit.
It's also a good idea to feed some frozen or live food once in a while.

Your tank looks beautiful, and I hope the Gourami pulls through.
Thank you :)
It is not quite as bright IRL as it looks in the picture but I’ll try making it a bit darker. I have tried a couple times with floating plants but for some reason, they are the only plants I can’t get to survive :( maybe it’s time to try again.

Megaanemp
Zebrakatten said:
It is not quite as bright IRL as it looks in the picture but I’ll try making it a bit darker. I have tried a couple times with floating plants but for some reason, they are the only plants I can’t get to survive :( maybe it’s time to try again.
Maybe turning the lights off for a couple days could help. Sorry your having to deal with this, I hope she recovers for you :(

Zebrakatten
Megaanemp said:
Maybe turning the lights off for a couple days could help. Sorry your having to deal with this, I hope she recovers for you :(
Thank you for the suggestion, I’ll try to turn off the light and leave it off. Hopefully she’ll calm down/feel better soon

jinjerJOSH22
Zebrakatten said:
How much flow is in the tank? Usually that is the reason floating plants seem to struggle at least in my experience. Though Three Spots are devils at eating the roots as well as duckweed. You could try floating Hygrophilia Polysperma, this is one of my favourites to float as it seems to do really well in my experience were others have failed.

Zebrakatten
jinjerJOSH22 said:
How much flow is in the tank? Usually that is the reason floating plants seem to struggle at least in my experience. Though Three Spots are devils at eating the roots as well as duckweed. You could try floating Hygrophilia Polysperma, this is one of my favourites to float as it seems to do really well in my experience were others have failed.
I have an eheim pro3 2073 as far as I recall (not sure though) which is turned partly down to decrease flow + a spreader but the surface does still move some so maybe that’s the problem.
I haven’t tried Hygrophilia Polysperma before so I’ll see if I can get it somewhere near me :)

Yeah both my gourami and the minnows tends to go at any roots that appear at the top (not those from the middle and down though for some reason). Maybe I can grow them in one of my other aquarium to give the plants a fighting chance before introducing them :)

Top Bottom