Gourami floating vertically on bottom, help please!

edgaralfa

Reaction score
image.jpg
please help. I separated him from the tank and I found him swimming next to the filter and he sunk to the bottom. he’s still alive but won’t eat and just floats like that

when I touch him he swims around for a few seconds then just stops and either floats or sinks

AtrociousGuppy

Reaction score
to me it kinda looks like pineconing. Could also be a swimbladder complication. I’m new to fish so I could be way off. Best wishes and I hope your fish recovers.

OP
edgaralfa

edgaralfa

Reaction score
yes.
probably about a week and a half
I barely got it a week ago
I tested the water at a fish store and they said everything is good
temp is 75
10 gallon tank
there’s a gold fish in the tank but the goldfish is completely okay. i’m thinking the goldfish might be bullying him

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, a few things:

Your tank isn't cycled and I'm guessing you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. That's a problem, and if its not right this second, it will be.

A 10 gallon is fine for him, not him AND a Goldfish. Goldfish don't belong in a 10 AND they need MUCH cooler water than Gouramis.

The water is WAY too cold for a Gourami. He needs 82-84. 75 is going to cause his metabolism to slow way down, will cause digestion issues, make him inactive, weaken his immune system, make his susceptible to disease, etc.

Get the Goldfish out of that tank, raise the temp to 82/84, do a BIG water change (80%) and get yourself a test kit.

OP
edgaralfa

edgaralfa

Reaction score
DuaneV said:
Okay, a few things:

Your tank isn't cycled and I'm guessing you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. That's a problem, and if its not right this second, it will be.

A 10 gallon is fine for him, not him AND a Goldfish. Goldfish don't belong in a 10 AND they need MUCH cooler water than Gouramis.

The water is WAY too cold for a Gourami. He needs 82-84. 75 is going to cause his metabolism to slow way down, will cause digestion issues, make him inactive, weaken his immune system, make his susceptible to disease, etc.

Get the Goldfish out of that tank, raise the temp to 82/84, do a BIG water change (80%) and get yourself a test kit.
okay thank you, i’ll be at the aquarium store in a few

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DuaneV said:
The temperature is fine imo :D
I keep my Dwarf GouramI at 74-76.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, that's WAY too cold, in my opinion.

KevinDrums

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a feeling someone at the pet store told you it was okay to have those 2 fishes in a 10gal.. which is so not right.. and don't trust pet stores test kits. they are extremely inaccurate.. I work at petsmart. and belive me, they are far from a proper liquid test kit reading.
Hopefully this taught you one valuable lesson.. RESEARCH!! its something I wish I wouldve done more of before I ever decided to even get a tank. familiarize yourself with the Nitrogen cycle by watching videos from credible sources.. Aquarium Co-op has a great one about cycling. and do a bit more research on your fishes to learn their specific needs! I hope all goes well from here

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom