Gourami/Dwarf Gourami

1. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Is a Gourami/Dwarf Gourami a beginner fish? I wanted to get one for my 55, I have soft water (I live in Seattle) but I've heard mixed things about gouramis, my other fish are 3 koi anglefish 5 peppered corys 1 bronze cory 3 angelicus loaches

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I only have experience with DG's and I think it depends on the quality of fish. Lots of them have the Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus and they won't last long however well established your tank is.

I added mine after my tank had been cycled about a month and he's been fine. I have had fish for years but I am no expert however, he appears to be thriving.

I don't know about the soft water or whether they'll work with your angels or loaches but my DG is fine with my albino cories.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!xx

3. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Thanks for the info you could give me

4. TankMaster25 Member Member

Usually I wouldn't recommend cold water fish like koi with tropical warm water fish like gouramis cories and loaches but if they are doing fine keep the water as it is because for beginners don't try to mess around with the water it can lead to fish death. Also koi produce a lot of waste so you're going to need a strong filter to support all those fish. The Gouramis will be fine as long as you keep the PH between 6.8 and 7.2

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I think they are "Koi Angelfish" as opposed to "Koi Carp".xx

6. Fish Fan Member Member

Hello it all depends on the fish. I have 5 different types of Gouramis with 5 angels 3 of which are Koi so I see no reason not to try!

7. Andrew Sackett Member Member

They are koi anglefish not koi that are usally in ponds, what different types of gouramis have you had fish fan?