Gourami Community Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fishlover245735, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Fishlover245735Valued MemberMember

i have one male red,orange Gourami that is pretty shy ☺️. In a 10 gallon tank with an Aqueon quit flow filter. I want to do a community tank... I was thinking

One male Gourami
    7 neon tetras
    4 Pygmy Corydoras or Panda Cory’s
    And some shrimp...
    How does this sound? Also how much bioload do shrimps have? Would putting shrimp in there increase the bioload by a lot? Ok thanks

2. fish 321Valued MemberMember

Neon tetras need a bigger tank then ten gallons.

3. Fishlover245735Valued MemberMember

Oh ok! Is there any other tetras that would work?

4. fish 321Valued MemberMember

Maybe some ember tetras.

5. Fishlover245735Valued MemberMember

Ok and then do you think maybe danios could work instead? Lots of people say that they work for smaller tanks... thanks for the help

Oh and also would guppies work?

6. fish 321Valued MemberMember

Danios like lots of room to swim as they are pretty active. As for guppies if you do get them make sure you only get all males or all females or they would over stock the tank. Also I belive pygmy corydoras need a minimum of 15 gallons. Do you know what kind of gourami? Could you post a pic of it?
    EDIT... I just seen your other thread it is a dwarf gourami right?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  7. shrimpforever777Valued MemberMember

I had male guppies in a 10g and they did pretty good! (They would have done great if I would have known how to properly take care of a tank then.)

8. CichlidTaiValued MemberMember

Gouromis like to hangout on the top so things like corydoras are good,I have clown loaches with mine in a 10G but it’s temporary as the loaches will get big

9. GiulWell Known MemberMember

Danios are probably the most active fish I’ve ever purchased so I would not reccomend them for a ten. However, guppies would do well in a ten gallon, just make sure you get only male or only female to prevent a fry overload. I would also reccomend Pygmy cories over panda cories for a ten just because they’re so small (and so cute).

10. candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

I would not recommend female guppies at all. They possess the ability to store sperm in their system for a few months, so you could wind up with a bunch of fry once you bring them home.

As for the shrimp, they produce negligible bioload so you could add quite a few of them and let them flourish in the tank provided you have a lot of plants and decorations for them to hide in. However, they do best in an established aquarium.

11. Fishlover245735Valued MemberMember

Here’s a pic for you guys! Yep he is a dwarf gourami. Do you think I could do guppies,Pygmy Corydoras and this guy? Also would the Pygmy Corydoras be okay with bigger smooth gravel and smaller pea gravel? Or do they NEED sand? I will upload a photo of the gravel and my whole tank! I’m planing on getting some sort of plant that grows along the ground too...

Attached Files:

12. candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

I'm gonna say no on the gravel and pygmy cory simply because, and I don't know if it was a freak accident or what so this probably qualifies strictly as my opinion, I had lost a pygmy cory to a piece of gravel that apparently crushed it. It was bruised where a sizeable piece of gravel sat on top of it. So I always recommend sandy substrate for corydoras ever since then.

13. Fishlover245735Valued MemberMember

Ok is there any other bottom feeders of corydoras that would be okay with gravel?

14. candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

15. Fishlover245735Valued MemberMember

Does anyone else have experience with corydoras and gravel? Just wondering cause I love those cute little Cory cats and would really like to have them. Also I saw online a pic of a 10 gallon with gravel and then in the back corner she did a patch of sand for her corydoras, would this be okay if I could do something to make sure that they wouldn’t get smushed by the gravel?

16. GiulWell Known MemberMember

I keep my pygmies on sand, but maybe DoubleDutch would know

17. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Hi, corys are fine on gravel as long as it isn't too large a grain, not sharp & it’s kept clean, pea gravel is ok & if you wanted to do a sand area as well that’s an option.

18. Fishlover245735Valued MemberMember

Ok thank you soooooo much! I really want to do corydoras!
    I have a 10 gallon with 1 male sunset orange gourami, and 4 male cobra guppies! What are some other options? Could I do panda or Pygmy Corydoras with tetras or plates? Also how often should I do water changes? Planning on about 25 % every other week. Another thing is what is the best way to clean a fish tank? Thanks.

Oh also I have an Aqueon quiet flow

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2019
  19. johnbettaWell Known MemberMember

u can do 4 panda corys no more fish after that your tank is small tetras u would need 10 and u cant cause your tank is small I would do 25 % water change once a week

20. Fishlover245735Valued MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice