Gourami chasing/nipping new angel fish

LheaMac

Hello,

I have a 36 gallon freshwater heavily planted fish tank. I have had a male dwarf gourami in this tank for awhile along with other schooling fish.

Today, I decided to add an angel fish as my tank is tall and the research I have done said these two typically mix well as long as the gourami is added first.

However, my dwarf gourami is chasing/nipping the angel fish. It’s not constant, he displays these behaviour for a minute or two goes somewhere else for a few minutes and repeats.

Is this going to settle down on its own or do I need to start setting up and new tank?

WRWAquarium

Hard to say. The charecter of individual fish will be different.

I tried adding gold gouramis to my angelfish and it was the angels who were chasing and nipping. The gouramis were reduced to hiding.

I would give it a bit of time and if it continues return the angel.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, welcome to fishlore.
Gourami and Angelfish are not a great mix, both can be quite aggressive and both like to inhabit similar space in the tank.
I would also give it a little time but I wouldn't expect much to change.

Upvote 0

Jragan23

Hello,

I have a 36 gallon freshwater heavily planted fish tank. I have had a male dwarf gourami in this tank for awhile along with other schooling fish.

Today, I decided to add an angel fish as my tank is tall and the research I have done said these two typically mix well as long as the gourami is added first.

However, my dwarf gourami is chasing/nipping the angel fish. It’s not constant, he displays these behaviour for a minute or two goes somewhere else for a few minutes and repeats.

Is this going to settle down on its own or do I need to start setting up and new tank?
From what I’ve heard dwarf Gouramis can be pretty aggressive, but it depends on the individual fish. Even if you were supposed to put in the gourami first, he probably thinks he’s king of the tank now and felt threatened by the angelfish. I would definitely have a back up just in case one of them actually gets hurt.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Revan
  • Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
75 Gallon Tank New Member Here
Replies
Views